Frustrated with new 2011 MBP :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shstiger2009, Mar 1, 2011.

1. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I bought my new 2011 MBP on Feb. 25, 2nd day they were out. The HDD as it booted was making a weird noise that I never heard before in my 2009 MBP. The light sensor didn't seem as sensitive and it was staying on in places that my 2009 seemed to turn off with the same amount of light. Well, I drove 45 minutes to the nearest Apple Store last night (Feb 28) and got a replacement of a completely new laptop.

This one is doing the exact same thing. Are you kidding me? :(

2. lukta macrumors member

Sounds like you might just be picky to me. But I don't have mine yet.

3. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

The hard drive shouldn't be making a noise that I can hear from across my room when I start it up. Period.

4. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

If you are not satisfied with your product, you SHOULD return it. :D

5. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

6. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Maybe you can take the next one out at the store since you are 45 mins away!?

7. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Are you sure it's the hard drive and not the optical drive?

And what the hell is a "weird" noise? Honestly, some of you people need to learn how rant properly.

8. shstiger2009, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Should my MBP be making a loud noise on startup, when I know for a fact my 2009 one never did?

How am I supposed to explain a noise through text?

Also, it may be the ODD. Either way it's weird to me because my 2009 never did it.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Don't argue with people here, just replace the product that you think is not satisfactory. ;)

Typical answer here is "you have a wrong sense of entitlement that Apple needs to replace whatever you think is not satisfactory" or "your situation is perfectly fine, it must be your fault" etc etc.

10. Davichi macrumors 6502

I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here by making this thread.

Some people are trying to say optical drive, but you are saying it's HDD. Okay. So, then you know what the next step is. Return the damn thing. Don't argue here. If you feel unhappy, then return. Problem solved. It's either your MBP isn't capable of what you are trying to do, or it's defective. You might have gotten defective units twice in a row. What do you expect?

Move on.

11. gchhour macrumors member

When you start up your macbook pro there should be a slight sound comming from the optical drive? Other than that I don't think that you should be having sound coming from the HD.

12. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a forum. People discuss things on forums. I can make threads if I want to discuss what I'd like to discuss. You didn't have to post anything.

I noted that it could possibly be the ODD. It actually seems like it is that now. But no one has answered the question of why is my 2011 model doing it when my 2009 didn't.

13. axu539 macrumors 6502a

It has to do with EFI. I had a late 08 uMBP last year, and my roommate had an 09. After a certain update, his completely stopped making the sound, and mine only made the sound at bootup (no longer when waking from sleep). Take it to an Apple store, let them hear the noise, and see if it's the ODD. Problem solved.

14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yes, there might be characteristics of these new machines you cannot stand, so therefore, if thats the case, your 2009 model be the keeper for now.

That is how it has been for me with iMacs. I cannot replace my 2007 iMac yet because everyone I have tried of the newer ones have yellow screens, and I cannot live with that.

15. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Record it and upload it ;)

16. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess that's what it is. I may have not noticed it in my 2009 and I guess I just did in this one because I bought it brand new. Thanks for answering my question, something no one else was capable of doing. ;)

17. LinkMx macrumors member

It's normal, it's the optical drive, my 2010 MBP does this too.

18. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. I now feel like an idiot for going to return the first one I bought. But I guess I didn't know because my 2009 was silent.

19. trip1ex macrumors 68000

new machines are always different from old ones and that probably accounts for most people thinking something is wrong.

20. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Well I'm glad you posted. I may want to upgrade my 2010 13" MBP to a 2011 model, and so I'm reading these threads with interest. I can get the benchmarks from tests, but I also want to know...

Are they noisier? (I like quiet)

Are they more problem prone? Teething pains? (I can get a sense of it if enough people post their experiences)

Is the keyboard different (some are saying it is softer)

And besides, like you say, it's a forum for discussing :)

Also, I, like you, would especially notice differences from my 2010 - especially since there is so much that is the same (case, keyboard, screen, etc.) Your mind naturally wanders to "Okay, what's NOT the same?"

And, when spending $1200+ on a computer, I do want it to start out reasonably perfect. Yes, that sounds like an oxymoron, but you probably know what I mean.

Miss Terri

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Slight? It sounds like it's eating itself! It sounds like the liftgate opening on an SUV.

22. shstiger2009 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know exactly what you mean. If I'm spending $1200 it should be pretty much perfect.

For me, my fans are running like my 2009. At 2000 RPM when surfing the internet and using iTunes, it's running at 47* C. So it's silent. Although I thought I had a problem with mine, I guess I didn't. The only benefit I got out of switching it 3 days later is I got a new battery with 0 cycles. ;)

The keyboard IS softer than my 2009, I noticed it as soon as I started typing on it.

23. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

If the new machine is not brand new in box, then start it up in front of the employee and get them to listen for the noise.

If it is, simply take it back, or hell, when you get it replaced, open it with them, and advise you will be staying until you know it doesn't have that noise.

24. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

I believe there are some worthwhile comments here about "just return it".

That said - I purchased a new 15" MBP a few days ago and returned it today. The speakers were the worst I ever heard in a Mac. The Toshiba drive was noisy and created an oscillating hum that was unacceptable.

I paid a bit more and now have the 17" MBP - dead quiet and excellent speakers.

Issue resolved.

25. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

OP --- Take a video of your computer booting up, post to YouTube and link it here. We'll listen to it and tell you if it's normal or not.