Frustrating experience buying an app. - would it put you off?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yojitani, Apr 19, 2009.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

So I am thinking about buying a particular piece of software made by one of the smaller developers out there (not naming names!), but I've had nothing but frustrating experiences with their support people. Basically, it's an excellent, and indispensable, piece of software, but it can be kind of pricey, especially with the other expenses I have coming up. They have several buying options, like student pricing, lite packages etc. and I'm trying to work out which one would work for me now. The problem is that every time I email to ask them to clarify the differences stated on their website, they get back to me with information that is completely different from what they have published. It's getting to the point now where I'm really frustrated and wondering if it's such a good idea to buy this piece of software. I did not have any problems with the trial version, but if I have a problem later, are they going to be this unclear? I have noticed in the forums they have that their support staff (who are probably the developers) have not really been helpful.

There are competitors out there that are more established, but I have really taken to this particular piece of software. What do you think? Should I give it up? Should I point out to them all the contradictory information I've received? I'm asking here partly because I expect that some people on the forums are developers and might have something to say from that point of view.

I really don't want to print the name of this company, so don't ask. If you really must know, I suppose I could PM you.

2. Boneoh macrumors 6502

Boneoh

It sounds like they are not understanding your questions. Perhaps there is a language barrier? Or maybe they are just not patient enough to take the time to carefully read and reply to your question. Try putting together a simple list of questions that have a yes/no answer. Sometimes a list of questions is easier for them to get their head around. A rambling paragraph can sometimes be more difficult to understand. Good luck!

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Thanks for responding. My messages were about as brief as possible (one line questions), so I'm not sure what I could do there. And no they are US based, I think they understand. Let me give you an example:

On their site, they have a list of pricing options for single-user licenses. Each pricing option is a little different in terms of functionality, but they also have an option to upgrade the license. So, say I buy the cheapest one and then decide I want more functionality, I can... or so it says on the website. In my last email to them, I asked about the upgrade options and they said I can't upgrade from certain packages (even though there is an option to upgrade from that particular license on their website)!

This is just a recent example, there have been a few other similar discrepancies and it's just getting frustrating. In fact, last night I downloaded a competitor's demo version. It's not as good, but it's established and they have responded quickly and clearly to an enquiry I sent only 12 hours ago. I'm not sure what I will do yet since I prefer the app, but hate the support. Support can be very important.