Frustrating "Feature"

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SteveKnobs, Sep 1, 2011.

1. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I just picked up a new Air yesterday- I'm still trying to get used to Lion and what I consider some substantial changes over SL and Leopard.

Something that has really frustrated me is that whenever I quit a program (command+Q) whether it be Safari, preview, etc, the same files or webpages are restored whenever that program is opened again at a later time. Is there any way to disable this feature within system preferences?

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

very frustrating

system preferences, general, untick restore windows near the bottom

3. SteveKnobs thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Also, if you don't like the fact that Lion re-opens application windows (or at least shows images of the windows that were open) upon reboot, even if you tell it not to, then you can apply a shell script to kill that behavior:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/25/disa...-logging-back-in-in-mac-os-x-lion-completely/

Doing this has decreased both my boot and shutdown times. Sadly, however, we are still awaiting a fix for disabling auto-save and auto-versioning upon file open/close/modification and bringing back classical "Save As..." functionality.

5. SteveKnobs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

Question though: Is the Resuminator app buggy or cause any decrease in performance? I'm a little weary about installing it.

6. err404 macrumors 68020

AFAIK it's just a GUI that issues defaults write commands so you don't have to do it via the terminal. Shouldn't have any effect on the system performance since once the change it made, the app doe not need to be running.

7. Pndrgnsvc macrumors 6502

Pndrgnsvc

RestoreMeNot http://www.restoremenot.info/ (freeware, Preferences Pane) precludes, on a selectable case-by-case basis, windows from restoring upon restart.

So far, I have found it to work as advertised with no adverse consequence.

8. stevemiller macrumors 65816

what drives me nuts is that lion will open a running application's window even if no windows were open before the restart. so in effect its not restoring your desktop to its last state, its vomiting half a dozen useless windows all over your screen, forcing you to waste time re-closing the mail/ical/etc windows that you'd only want to call up when you need them.

also, the "restore windows when quitting and reopening app preference" seems to have no consistent effectiveness. i still sometimes get windows auto-reopening even with it unchecked.

i find it funny how many mac users probably sneered at how microsoft's incessant "confirm/deny" dialogues were an example of their lack of attention to user experience, but will happily defend the many small annoyances of lion as acceptable growing pains.

9. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I completely agree. I otherwise love Resume, but can't stand this behavior. It's fairly obvious this is just a bug though and certainly not how Apple has intended the feature to work. You ideally shouldn't even notice that the computer just restarted. So here's to hoping they will fix this in time. (File bugs, people!)