Frustrating keyboard vibration refuses to go away. Advice pls?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by procyonx86, Aug 18, 2009.

1. procyonx86 macrumors member

This is the sequel to my old thread. I'm starting to think that my case is truly unprecedented, and that not even the Apple Asia techs in Singapore know what is behind my vibrating keyboard.

Around 2 months ago, the local AASP techs, working together with Apple Asia techs, finally agreed to replace the top case, fans, and superdrive of my uMBP. At that time, neither the tech nor myself could detect any vibration on the uMBP keyboard, and I took my uMBP home satisfied. After a month, I thought I was beginning to feel some vibration on the TAB key, but it was so slight I dismissed it as something psychological, perhaps even trauma from the previous episode which lasted for weeks. Now it's back with a vengeance.:(

I treat my uMBP with kid gloves. I clean its whole surface every week. I rarely take it anywhere. I've never bumped or dropped it. I've even bought an external keyboard and mouse so that I won't wear its keyboard and trackpad. In fact, I've even restricted my use of the 9600 graphics chip, preferring to use the 9400 as much as possible to avoid taxing the fans.

Does anyone have any idea about what's causing this? I mean, if some/most keys were vibrating, then I could say that it could be a loose/poorly positioned keyboard/fan(s), but if it's only the bloody TAB key...:mad:

Is there no one else out there with a similar problem? If there are, how widespread is it? If there aren't, then have I been given a lemon? I've gone through three fan changes and one top case replacement after all.

Help... :(

2. jpma macrumors 6502

wo your really close to frame up your mbp in a glass box.

one thing you can try is if, your not satisfied then bring it back but before that call applecare.

get it done till your happy with it.
    If repeated repair have been done to solve this problem and yet unsuccessful
    maybe you can try to request to exchange the unit.

i don't have any vibration on mine.
    early 09 mbp model

but strange, why didn't you get imac at first?
    your mbp is one of those overprotected child is it?

3. p3ncil macrumors regular

In Singapore, Apple outsource their service to others. And boy... the service isn't really... good.

Many a times, apple users in Singapore have prompted Apple to open up a genius bar in Singapore but...so far... it's not happening. Even the sale reps in those stores have little to no knowledge of apple products.

Either they use a mac and run windows or just run windows boxes. Chances of a rep using a mac desktop is... rare.

So i doubt this has a low chance of happening.

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Are you sure completely 100% that this all isn't just in your mind considering your prior experience? Can anyone else feel the vibes?

5. jpma macrumors 6502

i see,

I don't have any genius bar in my country too.
    But there is a service provider.

Also, if your really not satisfy with your mbp with your existing problem.
    Call applecare and note your case.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have never experienced vibrations other than very slightly when importing a CD.

I can't believe you had all that work done and still have a problem and they won't just replace it.

My friend's puppy shakes (shivers) to get attention and be played with when we are around.

7. p3ncil macrumors regular

Come to think of it.
    What do you mean by your keys are vibrating? Moving a little something?

Maybe you can take a video of it? I just can't imagine it rocking forth and back :confused:

8. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

9. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Well, this is my first $2000 laptop after all...

I needed something powerful enough to do relatively complex image editing but also light enough to carry around. To be honest, my overprotective behavior kicked in only after the latest replacement; I guess I just never expected a $2000 laptop to have such a pathetic flaw.

I have considered the possibility. I am also aware that I may be more sensitive to vibrations than the average person. However, the vibrations happening on my TAB key are very real, especially at high fan speeds. I know this because all I need to do is move my fingers over different keys -- only the TAB key vibrates. Nothing else. However, I've developed a typing position where my left hand, when idle, would rest with my thumb on the CMD key and my ring finger on the TAB key -- so the vibration annoys me continuously. So yes, I'm 100% certain.

Anyone want to buy a $2000 puppy? :D

Read my previous threads. In short, the TAB key vibrates at high fan speeds. The vibration isn't visible, so I can't record it on video (even if it was visible, I'm still not sure it would show up on video). However, the vibration is definitely there if you touch the key. Even a firm press cannot completely eliminate the vibration. I used that fact to eliminate the possibility of a loose keyboard/TAB key, but now that it's happened again I'm going to have to reconsider.

I'm starting to get annoyed enough to demand a replacement. After all, this problem has been unfixed since January, and it's now August. Not to mention my warranty expires in November.

I hope to bring my uMBP to the AASP again soon. I'll post more on what happens there.

10. p3ncil macrumors regular

threadstarter, which e-service provided you went to?
    you are in singapore rights? try approaching e-service @ sunshine plaza.

avoid all the others.

11. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Actually, I'm in Jakarta, Indonesia, which is even worse off than Singapore. At least Apple Asia's there. Here, the AASPs don't even have the authority to order replacement parts without "due cause". Even then, apparently, "due cause" didn't include Apple's worldwide battery replacement program for 13" white MBs (my old laptop) and vibrating keys (my current laptop's problem)... until I fired off an angry e-mail to Steve Jobs (battery replacement case) and pestered the hell off the AASP tech here (vibrating keys case).

Going to fire off another e-mail to Apple Asia and take the uMBP downtown to the AASP tomorrow. The 'three-strike rule' might apply only to 'major' replacements (logic board, display, etc.), but this damn problem has persisted for two-thirds of my warranty, so I'm gonna try to get a replacement.

Stupid vibrating tab key...:mad:

12. procyonx86 thread starter macrumors member

Epic win.

So the Apple rep I had been in touch with called today. She had the job report from the AASP which says that my unit would need a "logic board and display replacement". By the AASP tech's own count, this would leave the battery as the only component which hasn't been replaced.:eek: I guess even Apple saw how ridiculous the situation had become, since her next sentence contained the magic words "replacement unit".:D:cool:

I am now anxiously awaiting the new unit, and hoping it will be a current-gen one. I'd miss the ExpressCard slot, but the SD slot and the crazy battery life makes up for it.:D

Just please don't let its keyboard vibrate again...

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I needed to know that my situation was unique, and that I'm not just a fussy/picky customer.