Frustrating minimizing screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Taya72, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Taya72 macrumors newbie

Taya72

So my screen started doing this....
    And when I type the 3, e, d and c keys they cause it to minimize as well. No apple store has been able to tell me what the problem is and they wiped it clean and did a clean install. This is so frustrating! I've searched the net for weeks.
    Anyone have any idea at all what is going on???
    TIA!!

2. MC6800 macrumors 6502

That looks more like a hardware problem.

What you're seeing is not a Minimize, but Exposé, likely due to the F3 key being randomly "pressed". The F3, 3, E, D, and C keys are most likely wired in the same column, which would explain why they all have the same effect. It's possible there's an intermittant short on that column line, likely due to something once spilled on the keyboard. If so, replacing the top case would fix it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 10, 2018 ---
    Might also be something jammed in the F3 key. What happens if you press it?

If it doesn't move, first try popping its keytop off.

3. Taya72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taya72

I have never spilled or gotten it wet. My husband pulled it apart and couldn't find anything wrong. I have noticed as well that it now takes longer to boot up and my fan does not come on anymore. BUT....it does work...I checked it.
    I gave it to an apple repair guy and paid $200 for him to do a wipe/clean install and fix this but he had no idea.
    Thanks so much for your response. How can I tell if it's a short? And what exactly is the top case? Our next step was gonna be to replace the keyboard, trackpad and fan. But I came across this forum and figured I try here first. Oh and the F3 key presses ok. Nothing jammed in there

4. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Does pressing the F3/Exposé key work? I.e., does it show the same "minimize" effect?

The top case is the replaceable part that includes the keyboard (riveted into it).

5. Taya72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taya72

When I read your response the first time I pressed F3 it minimized but now it does nothing when I press it. But my e, d and c keys are not causing it to minimize. YAY!!! Could it have seriously been that simple?? Lol! This has been a couple months of frustration.

6. MC6800 macrumors 6502

Glad to hear that fixed it-- you may have it configured so you have to press Fn + F3 to do Exposé.

Very surprised the Apple store and especially the Apple repair guy didn't recognize Exposé and catch this...

7. Taya72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taya72

Ok. I just came back to my computer and as I typed this response it started again with the e, d , c, 3 keys. Because of our earlier chat I hit F3 and now it doesn't do it. Any idea why?

8. MC6800 macrumors 6502

What does F3 not do now? Exposé?
    Do other function keys do their correct operation (brightness up, down, etc.)?

It's still looking like flaky hardware of some sort, as the only thing I can think of in common with those keys would be a circuit trace.

9. Taya72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taya72

The F3 key only works one time. Then it won't work again until my computer sits idle for awhile. But that first time it does work....it stops the 3, e, d, and c keys from Expose. Does that make sense? And all the other function keys work fine.

10. MC6800 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing your F3 key is getting stuck in the down position (closed contacts), but can't duplicate the effect on my Macbook Pro keyboard which may be wired differently.

Try holding down the F3 key while pressing letter keys to see if it has the same effect. Try the same with another function key too.

11. Taya72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Taya72