frustrating that siri can't automatically GO to a web page

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eroxx, Oct 15, 2011.

1. eroxx macrumors 6502a

It's nice that it can google something. But what if you want it to GO to "www.metacritic.com" or "yelp.com" or something ... ?

2. Captain America macrumors 6502

Yeah I was hoping that it would be able to do that. It doesn't seem to be able to do anything but Google sites.

I think it'd be cool if she could recognize any site in your history. So if you asked her to go to MacRumors, she'd know to automatically open Safari to www.macrumors.com rather than a Google search for what she thinks are the two words "Mac Rumors"

3. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

all things considered, it's pretty damn cool. I hope Apple continue updates it. bizarre that the old APP siri would let you check movie times ...

I would also love tie in with third party apps

4. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

That was one of my doubts...

What if you want to use Bing or Yahoo to look up stuff? Is there an option to set up the search engine in Siri?

You can do that in Safari... why not in Siri?

5. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Try this

Search yahoo....then ask the question it works. Siri will look on yahoo for what you want.
    The way to do is is first say search and the engine you want to use.
    Then she will say what do you want to search for.... then u tell her. and it will look using that engine.

6. eroxx thread starter macrumors 6502a

updates that would seem relatively easy:

flight info (tracking flights)
    movie times
    GO to webpages, rather than google search

----------

she's been working lately for me -- mostly.

7. scootaru macrumors 6502

I think Apple's ultimate goal is to get as many websites as they can get on board and use them to directly provide information to users, thus bypassing the whole google/yahoo/bing search altogether.

8. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I don't understand why basic system functions that you'd think Apple could integrate with Siri are not there:

"Turn wifi on/off"
    "Turn bluetooth on/off"
    "Turn airplane mode on/off"
    "Shut down"

And so on. If they can integrate with calendar, reminders and messages, why not these basic system functions?

9. efyou macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like this thread. I've been thinking the same things about Siri. Still it's really cool though but yeah it would be nice if we could use it a little deeper. I pretty much only post using my voice now too. Ha ha ha.

10. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Sounds like some of you need to start writing some code to get siri to work like YOU think it should. I'm sure Apple would love to have your input! It is beta after all.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Limiting the things Siri can do makes it much easier to manage the beta process. I suspect the API will eventually be made available and Siri will be able to use other apps that support it.

12. macrat macrumors regular

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

14. davelanger macrumors 6502a

Its in Beta and apple takes baby steps to perfect it. You need to get a good solid foundation before you can try to tack on advanced commands. And yes saying turn on wifi and off is not really a basic command code wise. Not like saying google this info.

15. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Android has it for well over a year now. Welcome to the future.;)

16. McAbreeze macrumors newbie

If you just say"hey siri" then "www.<domain name>."com/net/...", Siri will take you there.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

If that actually works, then perhaps it's just something newer that has been added in the past 4 years since the discussion happened in this thread?

18. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

You do know that this thread started in 2011, not today ? Of course things have changed now with SIRI

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

It has changed. Unfortunately not much.
    Siri - Apple's RHSC :rolleyes: