FRUSTRATION! streaming video with Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mossanimal, Mar 27, 2010.

1. mossanimal macrumors newbie

I'm currently uninstalling Flash and am gonna try re-installing the latest version.

So what else can I do??? Is there anything I should do to free up more RAM or something like that???

I did notice that when I'm offered the choice between HD and standard res... the standard res is watchable.... but still not perfect.

I do have an upgrade for the OS I can use... But I'm not sure if that would help. Thoughts on that??

Anyway... Am I doomed or what?

Thank you very much... I've done a ton of searching on this, and I just can't get a workable solution....

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Some more details about your Mac and Mac OS X version would be nice, and what CPU activity you get, which can be found out via Activity Monitor.

And what do you mean by "I do have an upgrade for the OS I can use"?
    Is it a point update like 10.6.1 to 10.6.2 or more like 10.5 to 10.6?

3. mossanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

oops... only part of my message was copied... here is the rest:

I really need a solution here... very frustrating issue. We just bought a refurbished Mac Mini to stream video onto our HD TV. The Mini will be dedicated to this use and will have very little need of any other application.

The Specs:

1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo
    1 GB 667 MHZ DDR2 SDRAM
    BUS 667 MHZ
    54.78 GB in the hard drive

Running MAC OSX 10.5.8

Using Safari ver 4.0.5

The issue: streaming video sucks using Hulu, ABC, CBS... choppy, stopping, etc. It will stop almost every second

We have 1.5 DSL speed (and the speed checks are excellent) and that's all we can get out here in the sticks. But I'm led to believe it might be more of a hardware issue.

I've tried resetting Safari, emptying cache, etc... but the computer hardly gets used anyway.

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Combined with Flash, I suspect that's your problem. When we went from 1.5 to 7, all of our streaming problems disappeared.

5. mossanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought of something else.... I've been running Netflix movies through a bluray player to the same tv with no problems at all. Doesn't this suggest that it is NOT an internet issue???

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not necessarily. Does your BR player buffer longer than your Mini?

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

I have 2 mb/s internet and I can stream HD video just fine.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Processor is slow, ram is low...use Firefox.

9. iMouse macrumors regular

Why are you using the Finder to navigate something that is supposed to be your media center?

You should install and configure Plex. Set the Mac OS to auto-login and launch Plex. You can control it with an Apple Remote or something like a Logitech Harmony multi-device remote.

A lot of people prefer Boxee, but Plex appears to have better optimized code for H264 decoding on lower end boxes.

Flash on the Mac OS blows (Flash on anything blows, really). You should also throw on Silverlight for things like Netflix streaming.

10. mossanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot everybody..

iMouse...

I don't know why I'm using Finder other than the fact I was not aware of any alternatives.

I will check out the apps you mention...

11. pooryou macrumors 65816

12. mossanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

They play great.

I'm not sure which solution worked, but things are better... at least in terms of pausing and stuttering. I switched to Firefox, uninstalled and reinstalled Flash, and am using Plex for some things. Plex works great... but I can't find everything I want to watch on it.... Survivor, Caprica, etc. Anyway... I guess things are working okay. The only problem now is quality of the picture isn't what I would call HD. But that is another issue... And I'm in over my head here I think....

13. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Caprica is available on Plex thru Hulu. You do need to have hulu subscriptions add it to your Queue, though.

14. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

You will see improvement by installing Flash Player 10.1 Beta 3 on that mini.