Frustration with AT&T 3G coverage bleeding over to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curmudgen, Dec 22, 2009.

1. curmudgen macrumors member

I wonder who else is in a similar situation?

I love my iPhone to death. However I and everyone else in our area is stuck in either edge network or even that small circle icon! Pensacola Florida and panama city florida whitch are on either side of us have had 3g for over a year yet nothing for our cities inbetween. It's frustrating to see small Florida cities having 3g while we sit waiting.

My contract is up this month, and I have been debating jumping ship for the faster verizon speeds in my area with droid or some other android system phone.

Anyone else having similar frustrations? It is added frustration also to hear local AT&T affiliates mention specific turn on dates time and time again just to have those dates go by with no activation. Supposedly today was supposed to be a turn on day and there is of course no 3G on.

2. zacharace macrumors member

Seems to me like AT&T is all over the place with regards to coverage--3G or otherwise. While I live in Central Ohio and have 3G, if I go 30 miles in either direction, I lose it, so I have some idea of your situation. (Although I hate Verizon's commercials, they do have a point...).

If I were in your situation, I'd evaluate my (your) priorities. Is iPhone's ease-of-use, broad acceptance (App Store, etc), design, etc, worth slower speeds?

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

at&t is in a world of hurt PR wise these days. i dont think luke wilson has helped as much as they thought he would. maybe at&t should hire the firm chris brown used to rehabilitate his image? ;)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can try tmobile if it's any better in your area. This way you can still use your iPhone and pickup a noncontract plan. Only edge thru tmobile though.

5. carlgo macrumors 68000

No use stressing when the options are clear and with no reception you have no choice but to go with another provider. If you really think that AT&T will actually put in better service in your area, then get a pay as you go cheapo phone to use until that day comes. They have been promising that here for two years, but nothing... Get a Touch or an iPod for non-phone fun.

I love my iPhone, but even with local reception I doubt that I will sign up for a big bucks 2 year contract again. My data use is modest and a tiered plan or pay as you go makes a lot more sense. Why should I subsidize big users?

Apple/AT&T just got too expensive for me. I still have my MBP, Time Machine and ATV, all great devices that don't drain my account every month.