Frys.com?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maczz, May 7, 2011.

1. Maczz macrumors newbie

This is my first time order from frys.com and will be last time:mad:. I order 16gb ipad 2 at MARCH 28 from them. Today May 7 the order still said back order. I need to know how this company rating, are they any good. I see all my friend order from apple.com got their ipad. Has anybody order from frys.com got their order? I was thinking about cancel the order and order from apple.com. It seen i wait for so long, dont want to be bottom list again. Sorry for my english, english is my second lanuage.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Frys, like all the rest of the retail stores, is at the mercy of what is sent to them. There are people who ordered from Best Buy on day one of launch and still don't have theirs.

If they didn't charge you yet (most don't until they ship) then you may want to try to order from somewhere else as well, as a back up. Then cancel the once one of them has shipped. Or you can check in at local stores to see if there is any stock available.

3. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I H8 Frys!! They used to repackage and resell returned stuff as brand new. I've bought all kinds of things from them (including a TV) and once I get home I have all kinds of issues. Wrong remote control for the TV, a different TV where the features didn't work right (auto-lowering of tv volume during commercials, etc.)

I NEVER shop at that store anymore. H8 H8 H8 !

4. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

Last time I checked my local Fry's the repackaged items on their shelves say something like" REPACKAGED REDUCED PRICE ITEM!!!!!!!" on a huge sticker that looks way different from the regular price tags. It also has a disclaimer on the repackaged reduced price sticker. Not to mention you can look at the box and see that its been opened and re taped shut as well. So If you don't want the repackaged items you just make sure it doesn't have that price sticker on it that shows you its a returned re-shelved item. I've never seen them try to pass something off as new if it's been returned or opened.

As for the iPad they're on back order all over the place and that's the manufacturers fault for not being able to pump out enough product to meet the customers demands.

5. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

Sorry but that is not always the case. They have a history of resealing opened boxes and selling them as brand new. (Don't ask how I know;))

6. Janet1 macrumors member

we have a local Frye's retail store here. I LOVE Fryes! I've bought a number of laptops from my favorite sales guy, and he calls me now when they've got a really good deal.

I wouldn't doubt though that they sell a lot of repackaged and discontinued stock, because some of the deals I've gotten there are almost unbelievable. Never had any problems with them though.

7. henchman macrumors 6502a

I love frys as well.

I actually was able to buy my 64gig 3g iPad 2 at besbuy the same day i Returned my iPad 16gig wifi to the apple store.
    I had to go to 2 of them, as the only had wifi versions.
    But I Ran across various stores that had either Wifi or Verizon ipads in stock.

8. jtara macrumors 65816

My understanding is that the green "returned item" tag is a requirement of a settlement Fry's made with either the FTC or a California state agency. My recollection is a bit fuzzy.

You may be better off buying online vs. a walk-in retail location, because presumably people can't just walk into the warehouse and stealthily remove parts from boxes. (As they do in the stores.)

Most of us have a love/hate relationship with Fry's. There can be issues with returned items and part-pilfering customers (as well as people who let their little kids play with the products...) but on the other hand their return policy is liberal. Most of the employees have no sensible answers to any question asked and they pester the heck out of you. Any given product category can be found in at least 3 1/2 different locations in the store - some being duplicates of the same products, some not. (This can be a good thing at times, like the "cheap USB cables that work just as good in the Experimenter's section, next to the Philmore products...)

I think at one time they were open 24 hours. Great if you needed a resistor or a diode at 2AM.

The walk-in stores will price match any local store if you show them the ad or RedLaser, etc. (Has to be a local, walk-in store.) But so will Best Buy.

I buy stuff at Fry's that I'm not sure if I am going to keep. If I do keep it, I keep it. No fair ordering online after you've decided you like the product, but you found it cheaper online.

Fry's prices generally are pretty close to the best online prices. On big items like TVs, they can't even come close, though, especially when you order out of state and are in a high-tax state (like California). They are hundreds higher on high-end TVs. But on items selling for, say $100-$200 they are so close it isn't worth bothering with going elsewhere online.