Ft. Worth try-on sad, TOOL needed for band change?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jbizzybeetle, Apr 11, 2015.

1. jbizzybeetle, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

jbizzybeetle macrumors regular

Forgive if this is a second post of same. Weird "not logged in" message when last submitted.

Ft. Worth Apple store try-on visit rates a C, maybe. The Apple Store Person, aka ASP, is a nice, competent guy who has helped me a couple times when I was shopping and buying my Macbook Pro last October. Like him. I’m sharing the ugly first so can end on good note.

I share because store manager and AngieA need feedback. No pics as can't see how to add via URL on macbook, was easy previously on iPhone for another thread. maybe try to edit in later.

I made appointment, checked in, not needed. People wandering up to the display table taken care of first by a store employee specifically assigned to handle walk-ins. He described me as “eager” when I just wanted to start on time. He made sure to check in with the original concierge about me, thank you, and then proceeded to ignore me. I was a few minutes later directed to the ASP to help me directly with trying on the watches and running the kiosk experience.

Spooky having armed and uniformed guard at door.

No 42mm SS Milanese to try on. This is the one I ordered and will be delivered 4/24-5/8.

The available 38mm Milanese fit great. The magnet hit right in the middle-bottom of my 185mm wrist. Oh wait, you say, isn’t it only 180mm long? Can’t explain that. Will wonder for two weeks how much too long the 42mm band 150-200mm may be.

Good news: Milanese band holds like concrete with my waving my arm about.

ASP did not know how to start the demo. I showed him. That part was fun once we got started.

The band was put on backwards so I pointed this out and he discussed how one would need a TOOL to remove the band connectors, he’d suggest a Phillips head screwdriver or maybe a guitar pik….WHAT???????
    Shouldn’t these be responsive to thumb nail?
    Anyway, I’m waiting for him to change it, realize that’s not happening, so I say “OK, well, you apparently aren’t going to switch it so lets proceed with my husband taking pictures.” ASP politely asked if I would like him to take the time to go find a tool and switch the band. I declined. he slipped it on my wrist and hubby took picture of my wrist with 38mm SS watch with Milanese band.

To see a 42mm watch and experience the rubber band, I tried on 42mm Space Grey Sport with black band. Fit, band is nicer than my original Pebble, I think I’ll like the blue one I ordered. The on-and-off not as difficult for me as some have described. ASP had some bad experiences, apparently, as he was sure to make that experience a good one.

To try to figure how to deal with the longer band and larger case with a 42mm SS Milanese, I asked to try a 42mm SS with leather loop (180-210mm) . and ASP was delighted to help. Darn, forgot to take photo. That reassured me the larger case and longer band will be ok when my 42mm SS with Milanese arrives.

Kiosk experience not long-lived as battery was low on attached iPad, but we played about with the connected watch, and I continue to be thrilled with the potential of the Apple Watch.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Wow. I guess someone wasn't paying attention at training earlier this week.

My experience was the opposite in Chicago. The rep knew was he was doing and let me go at my own pace. He swapped the bands in front of me to show me how it's done, and I could try on as many as I wanted to.

3. jbizzybeetle, Apr 11, 2015

jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

4. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

38mm SS Milanese band on 185mm wrist.

Attached Files:

5. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

42mm SG Sport with black band

Attached Files:

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

You don't need a tool. During my try out appointment I was given the opportunity to swap bands. You use your nail to press a small button on the bottom of the watch and slide the strap out. You do the same to put it back. I must admit it wasn't as easy as its made out to be but it could just be something you have to get use to.

7. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Lol, no...

A tool is NOT necessary & I hope that the idiot you talked to loses his job.
    (well... at least gets reprimanded!) =P

http://youtu.be/vFsQz2ES2WA

The video linked is titled:
    How to swap an Apple Watch band

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Are you concerned you ring is gold and your watch is silver?

9. jbizzybeetle, Apr 11, 2015

jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

Concerned? No. Terrorism concerns me; watches not at that level.
    Annoyed? Yes.
    My husband says it would be cheaper to buy new white gold wedding band and ring than yellow gold Apple watch. :)
    Anyway regular stainless steel watches worn by many ith yellow gold jewelry.
    Black stainless my first love but Apple chose not to make any for launch. :(

10. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for video! Confirmed my understanding!