FTC to get AT&T Unlimited Data back!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdlooker, Oct 29, 2014.

1. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Now that the Federal Communications Commission has authorized the FTC to officially file a suit against AT&T for violating consumer contract terms of agreement by throttling unlimited data, I wonder what is likely to come next.

Within the article, it states..

“AT&T promised its customers ‘unlimited’ data, and in many instances, it has failed to deliver on that promise,” said FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez. “The issue here is simple: ‘unlimited’ means unlimited.”

...The complaint alleges that, even as unlimited plan consumers renewed their contracts, the company still failed to inform them of the throttling program. When customers canceled their contracts after being throttled, AT&T charged those customers early termination fees, which typically amount to hundreds of dollars...

...According to the FTC’s complaint, consumers in AT&T focus groups strongly objected to the idea of a throttling program and felt “unlimited should mean unlimited.” AT&T documents also showed that the company received thousands of complaints about the slow data speeds under the throttling program. Some consumers quoted the definition of the word “unlimited,” while others called AT&T’s throttling program a “bait and switch.” ...

So now I wonder what will come next..

We get our true unlimited data back or will they explicitly list the throttling terms out in the contracts or just totally rid of unlimited data?

What about the customers that dropped their unlimited data plans to keep the regular LTE speeds with higher usage tiered plans? Will they be offered their unlimited data plans back? Will the courts mandate they get them back as part of the judgement?

I just have a lot of questions and wonders with this.

Source: http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...-has-misled-millions-consumers-unlimited-data

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They'll drop unlimited the next time you upgrade before you can get it back. Good work, FTC.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

They won't stop throttling, they'll just notify you everyday that they'll throttle.

You're promised data, not data speeds.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Would be great to get rid off throttling but I don't know if it's going to happen.
    Probably they will just issue a check for $7-8 for those effected by this.

5. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Hate to agree but I agree. The throttled speeds are likely faster than what I was getting when I originally signed up with UDP on the first iPhone. So it is hard to complain that it is unfair.

6. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

That's a bummer.. Lol I'm not even on AT&T and when I heard on NPR news I was thrilled!! I want the FTC to and try to stop some of the BS carriers pull. But, your right, I guess carriers have a way around these things.

7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well they do promise to be the fastest LTE speeds.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Such an ethical subject. I don't think that the FTC actually has a case, though. AT&T had stated in their contract agreement from day one that they have the right to deem unacceptable data usage on an account if they so chose. It would of saved a lot of headache if they were more transparent on what they considered acceptable and non-acceptable, but ultimately they did cover themselves.

9. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Hmm, that seems real suspect to promise data but not speeds. No where do they say they'll reduce speeds to such a way that you can't function with your device. Hence the reason this very suit is created.

----------

But if they choose to cut out unlimited all together while neighboring companies offer it, that's it, ball game...many MANY customers are gone!!

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

AT&T said only 3% of their customers were on the unlimited plans. While all of them leaving would make an impact, it's unlikely that all would leave.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yep, AT&T's answer to the lawsuit will be to drop unlimited for grandfathered customers and it'll hardly make an impact. Idiotic move on the FTC's part.

12. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Might cause AT&T to completely cancel "unlimited" plans. Nothing is forcing them to keep the plans.

I gave up on their joke of "unlimited" and moved to a 15GB plan that got boosted to 30GB during their special. :)

:apple:

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not gonna happen.
    They won't release customers etf free like that by dropping the plan they signed a 2 year agreement on.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Which is why I said in my first post above that they'll drop it *the next time* they upgrade.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So they will drop it in 2 years?
    I don't know about that either. That would be the day I'd be signing up with T-Mobile and many others would leave probably.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And that's only 3% of you and obviously not all will leave especially if they want to keep the FAN discount or the reception is good enough. Hardly an impact on their bottom line.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3% out of hundreds of millions of customers is still a very high number.
    I don't think something like that would be a move that any wise company would go for.
    Who cares about fan discounts?
    Currently with T-Mobile the savings and plans are way cheaper than any fan discount.

18. spiderpumpkin macrumors member

If they do that then I'd pay full price for an unlocked phone so an upgrade isn't necessary.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I get only 15% off but some employers can get 25%, which is steep enough to offset most of the cost differential especially if at&t has better reception than T-Mobile in a particular area. Better to go with the better reception for a few dollars more.

Personally, paying full price isn't worth keeping unlimited.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True. If reception is an issue personally I don't see a reason to put up with bad service to save money.
    Id rather pay more and have good signal and fast data.

21. normanfox macrumors 6502a

not true. 3% of their customers are being throttled. number of people on unlimited plan is more than that. as more people use more data, that 3% will increase.

22. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I think the best case scenario is that they start doing things like Verizon. So no more subsidies, but no throttling either.

23. mdlooker thread starter macrumors 65816

mdlooker

But with that same thought process, if it's only 3% and low financial impact for them, it shouldn't be an issue to just allow the unlimited be a true unlimited w/o the throttling. There aren't enough customers to have an impact on towers. From what the report is saying, there are millions of customers.

24. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I doubt it would be an issue to do that. You're being throttled to induce you to switch to a plan that's more profitable for AT&T.