Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has issued a warning to raise awareness of a new and increasingly widespread robocall scamming scheme that pretends to be Apple and Amazon.

robocalls.jpg

The robocalls come in two versions, according to the FTC. In the first, a recorded message tells the listener of a suspicious purchase made through their Amazon account, or that the e-merchant lost or is unable to fulfill a current order.

The second version is a scam targeting Apple customers and claims suspicious activity on their iCloud account.

In both scenarios, the scammers ask people to press 1 to speak with someone or give a phone number for them to call.
"Don't do either," warns the FTC in a blog post. "It's a scam. They're trying to steal your personal information, like your account password or your credit card number."

If you get an unexpected call or message about a problem with any of your accounts, hang up.
  • Do not press 1 to speak with customer support
  • Do not call a phone number they gave you
  • Do not give out your personal information
If you think there may actually be a problem with one of your accounts, contact the company using a phone number or website you know is real.
Robocalls are a problem for users across devices created by Apple, Google, and others. While there are ways to block a number that's already called you on iOS, robocalls can repeatedly contact you using different numbers and methods, making them all the more difficult to stop.Earlier this year T-Mobile launched a free "Scam Shield" initiative designed to block robocalls and scam calls targeting T-Mobile, Metro, and Sprint customers.

T-Mobile competitors Verizon and AT&T have similar services, but charge for some features. Verizon, for example, has a free Call Filter service that IDs spam calls, but charges $2.99 per month for features like caller ID, blocking, and spam look up.

AT&T also has a free service for blocking fraud calls, but charges $3.99 per month for caller ID, reverse number lookup, custom call controls, and more. T-Mobile says that it is challenging other carriers to offer the same free services provided to T-Mobile customers.

Article Link: FTC Warns of Recent Surge in Robocall Scammers Pretending to Be Apple

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have been getting a lot of these types of calls recently claiming to be from a range of companies, Apple, DHL, BT and so on. An odd Chinese message as well.

Stop the Robocallers and their fraud and spam solicitations. We need a better solution to stop them and protect people.
Move to the country the one below lives in. ;)
I was really shocked by the amount of spam calls when I bought a prepaid SIM card for travelling in the US. I kept on getting calls from random people from "Cuba" and was like ??? this never happens here in Germany. The only ones that may call are your phone carrier but I made them stop.

I don't have a problem either, also from Europe.

grjj

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
"... contact the company using a phone number or website you know is real."
The issue becomes that many US citizens don't know how to tell if a site is real. They don't know what the address bar is, never mind how to use it.
Common scenario is their home page is "Google" so they type "amazon" into the google search then blindly hit the top result.
Problem is the top result can be a paid link to anywhere.

Kirkster

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2004
Got this phone call last night. You could tell it was a scam from second one. I was tempted to hit 1 just to waste their time...

Reactions: scrapesleon

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
I got one of these from “Apple” about 6 months ago. I knew it was a scam, so I pressed 1 just to better understand how it worked. It seemed to actually call Apple support and the support rep thought I had called him.

Presumably the call was being recorded or listened to by the scammers who had initiated it, hoping that they could capture some authentication information that I would give Apple on the call. Pretty clever.

Billyk711

Suspended
Sep 26, 2015

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission has issued a warning to raise awareness of a new and increasingly widespread robocall scamming scheme that pretends to be Apple and Amazon.

robocalls.jpg

The robocalls come in two versions, according to the FTC. In the first, a recorded message tells the listener of a suspicious purchase made through their Amazon account, or that the e-merchant lost or is unable to fulfill a current order.

The second version is a scam targeting Apple customers and claims suspicious activity on their iCloud account.

In both scenarios, the scammers ask people to press 1 to speak with someone or give a phone number for them to call.
Robocalls are a problem for users across devices created by Apple, Google, and others. While there are ways to block a number that's already called you on iOS, robocalls can repeatedly contact you using different numbers and methods, making them all the more difficult to stop.Earlier this year T-Mobile launched a free "Scam Shield" initiative designed to block robocalls and scam calls targeting T-Mobile, Metro, and Sprint customers.

T-Mobile competitors Verizon and AT&T have similar services, but charge for some features. Verizon, for example, has a free Call Filter service that IDs spam calls, but charges $2.99 per month for features like caller ID, blocking, and spam look up.

AT&T also has a free service for blocking fraud calls, but charges $3.99 per month for caller ID, reverse number lookup, custom call controls, and more. T-Mobile says that it is challenging other carriers to offer the same free services provided to T-Mobile customers.

Article Link: FTC Warns of Recent Surge in Robocall Scammers Pretending to Be Apple
Wish carries would concentrate on that rather than figure out how many service charges they can sneak in.
There is no reason they can’t figure out how to stop it.
I have been using AT&T for 20 years and they are gross when it comes to any sort of
customer service. Their billing dept is bigger than customer service dept

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
There will be days where I won't get calls to my cell, or days when I'll get 5 or more annoyances! 😡

I am thankful for the "Silence unknown caller feature," then they get booted to my novel-like list of blocked trash! (I probably can clean these out, these scammers rarely use the same number after a week or two!)

Billyk711

Suspended
Sep 26, 2015

robocalls.jpg

I guess that’s all they will do send out a email warning. They should maybe do something about the problem instead of sending a email

Reactions: EmotionalSnow

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
T-mobile scam shield doesn’t work.... block calls from people on my favorite list... not sure why they need access to my contacts list. Stops working for few days multiple times per month ... I reported this issue but no fix yet

Reactions: Kirkster

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
They like to call me using numbers that compose of the first six digits of my phone number. The remaining seems to be random variations. Does this happen to anybody else?

Reactions: arn and dwaltwhit

sw1tcher

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2004
The one good thing that happened during the early days of Covid-19 lockdown was the end of robocalls, telemarketing calls, spoofed calls, and spam SMS. Phones stayed quiet for 2 months. Now they're all back. :mad:

SkyRom

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2018
Not just Apple, spam/scams are up all over the place. Also: There's a free version of AT&T's mobile security that knocks down around 95% of the spam, or at least labels the ones that get through "Spam Risk" or "Telemarketer" etc. without charging the $3.99. Don't quote me on this but I think it's AT&T 'Call Protect' in the App Store.

Reactions: Maximara

Maximara

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2008
Stop the Robocallers and their fraud and spam solicitations. We need a better solution to stop them and protect people.
Sadly a lot of these robocallers are in countries that either don't give a flying fig or have so many other things on their list that these people are far down their list of things to fight.

Reactions: phenste

Maximara

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2008
It's called "silence unknown callers" and is a setting in iOS 😉
Sadly this may not work. I got a call that spoofed my local police station's phone number and tried to get me pay a "fine". I was at my computer and started quoting actual laws...they hung up. Told the real cops but there really wasn't much they could do as nearest they could figure the call had actually come outside the country.

phenste

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
aha! My grandmother got the Amazon call recently. Good thing she’s literally never had an Amazon account—and I haven’t even put her number on her shipping address for my account. (in other words, easy to debunk, as if it didn’t sound spammy enough.)

Not surprised about this since e-commerce is spiking and they’re such big players. Either way, robocalling is a f— joke and I’m (genuinely) surprised it’s so difficult for the telco industry to tackle, but I know nothing about how that works, so…! *shrug*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.