FTP and no idea

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hampshireman, Apr 5, 2011.

1. hampshireman macrumors regular

A website has asked me to send them a document in HTM via FTP rather than a Word.doc.

I haven't a clue about this and have found FTP downloads available, but which one is the simplest for a numptie like me to use, 'cos none of them straightforward or let's say user friendly.

I saved it in HTM so that seems simple enough. I also found similar documents on the website (I have requested assistance from the site admin) and have looked at their source codes and copied and pasted the pre cursers or whatever they are to the start of the document.

Any guides at all will be useful.

2. tmagman macrumors 6502

FileZilla is probably one one the simplest to use. Just enter the server info and a Username and password and then it is just drag and drop from one side to the other (local machine to remote machine) ...

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

Most browsers have an ftp client, just use the address they gave ftp://address.ftp

Then use the log in and password they provided, then you just drag and drop to/from your machine to the ftp browser, easy.
    . This is easiest if it is a one time FTP, but FileZilla is great if you need to work with files and ftp servers a lot.

4. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks to you both.

Sorry some dummy questions following.

Marc11 "Most browsers have a ftp client" ? so is that the website I am trying to send to?

tmagman "drag and drop to/from your machine to the ftp browser"? Totally in doubt about what you mean - sorry.

I will have a document that can be dragged to where? When I have the ftp client, will that be open on my desktop?

5. hampshireman thread starter macrumors regular

Guys, please remember not a computer techie here.

I downloaded FileZilla or so I thought and got the FZ red icon on desktop. However I double click it to open, it just bounces and nothing happens.

Any clues, I know I'm a dummy but I do manage most things eventually.