FTP Automation Help - for Web Stream Updating

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tdiaz, Jul 2, 2011.

1. tdiaz macrumors 6502

I'm trying to come up with an alternative to using EvoCam's inbuilt uploading mechanism, because when the connection gets spotty, the application stops saving frames, getting caught up in the uploading instead, and then frames just get lost.

So if I just let EvoCam save the frames, and then something else uploads, so if the connection lags the frames keep getting saved.

Since EvoCam saves the frames with a unique filename, I need something that can scan a directory, take the latest entry and upload it, and the resulting upload is named something else, that is the same every time. So that the resulting file can be viewed by the auto-refreshing web page.

I've kinda messed with Automator, but I can't quite get it to work.

2. tdiaz thread starter macrumors 6502

A little more clarification:

This is being done from a moving vehicle, via 3G, so the lag time varies greatly, hence the reason for the lag and timeout.

So in a nutshell:

Establish FTP connection:
    Find the latest file in the specified directory and upload it.
    Rename the existing one to something else
    Rename the just uploaded one to the static name
    Delete the prior one.

(so that if a file is not uploaded completely, it does not leave half an image on the resulting web page)

Repeat in xx seconds after completing the last one, until stopped by the operator.

EvoCam will drop images in the specified directory constantly,with a unique name.

The camera will likely be a Contour+ that is actually saving the whole thing as a video, and the output of the camera will be streaming live to an HDMI to S-video converter that is connected to a USB video capture dongle, so that EvoCam can grab frames from that. In the end, there will be a slide show and a complete video.