Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I need a simple to use backup solution that will do just three things:

1. Back up my computer to an off-site server on a scheduled basis

2. Allow me to select which files to back up

3. Back up files without overwriting a previous backup (e.g., I want to back up today's "documents" folder without overwriting yesterday's "documents" folder). Space on the server is not an issue.

TIA!

jpine

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Carbon Copy Cloner will do what you want.

:eek: Now I feel like an idiot. I already ready have CCC. It never occurred to me it would do anything more sophisticated than clone my HD to a new HD when I wanted to up to a larger drive.

EDIT: According to the CCC website forum, CCC cannot backup via FTP to an offsite, non-Mac server. The server I would back up to is Linux.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
:eek: Now I feel like an idiot. I already ready have CCC. It never occurred to me it would do anything more sophisticated than clone my HD to a new HD when I wanted to up to a larger drive.

EDIT: According to the CCC website forum, CCC cannot backup via FTP to an offsite, non-Mac server. The server I would back up to is Linux.

It will backup to a network share. Can't you just add the Linux volume as a network share and just backup to it that way? You don't necessarily care that it is FTP do you?

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile

Maybe Chronosync will do what you need?
It has the option to connect to remote volumes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.