Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

128KMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Aloha,
I tried this question elsewhere and got no answers, so will try under this forum - I dictate reports that I need to then send to a remote transcriptionist for transcribing. In the Windows world we had no issues with FTP transfers - but in the MAC world, nobody seems to make a digital voice recorder with built in Mac compatible FTP software (like they do for Windows). Right now I have an Olympus DS-7000. I have been able to use FileZilla and CuteFTP to FTP files to her but sometimes the file looks like the whole thing is being sent but she can only listen to the first 5-6 minutes of a 30 minute file before getting cut off (seems to be related to me using the rewind/redictate function). So - wondering if anybody has experience doing the dictating - FTPing thing and would have recommendations on best digital recorder and best methodology. Mahalo/thanks.

minton

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
California
I dictate through an iPad and save it to Dropbox. The dictation is there for anyone you share your Dropbox folder with. Just pick a dictation app that has sharing features builtin. If you need to use a digital recorder, then there are Mac FTP apps like Transmit that can automatically upload files once new recordings are added to a specific folder. I assume Olympus has a bundled app that can offload recordings to a specific folder whenever it's plugged into the computer.

128KMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I dictate through an iPad and save it to Dropbox. The dictation is there for anyone you share your Dropbox folder with. Just pick a dictation app that has sharing features builtin. If you need to use a digital recorder, then there are Mac FTP apps like Transmit that can automatically upload files once new recordings are added to a specific folder. I assume Olympus has a bundled app that can offload recordings to a specific folder whenever it's plugged into the computer.
[doublepost=1480087800][/doublepost]Thanks. Helpful. When you "dictate through an iPad" do you use a specific dictation app? I tried that on my Mac with built in dictation but could not figure out how to stop, start, rewind, etc. in the same file - kept opening a new file. :-(. Also - do you know what format the audio file was being saved in? And yes, the Olympus had that capability of off-loading the file, but for some reason their DS2 or DSS files were sending out complete but were not being picked up correctly at the other end in the DS2 or DSS format - meaning that my transcriptionist was only able to listen to about 5-6 minutes of a 28 minute dictation. Whereas if I saved that same file as an AIFF file and sent (now about ten times as large) - she was able to listen to the whole thing. So something funky was happening with the dictation when left in DS2/DSS file structure... Again - thanks for a prompt reply

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.