FTP Client iPhone App

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ardpbub, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ardpbub macrumors newbie

Has anyone found a FTP client app for iphone 3g? I want to upload photos to an ftp server after transfering them from my camera to my powerbook to my iphone so I dont have to find a wifi network to send images to clients right after they are shot. I have FTP On The Go but it only allows downloads, not uploads.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

WTH?
    That is such a convoluted process to get a photo anywhere :eek:
    Anyway, Check out Caravan in the app store.
    or jailbrake :)

3. ardpbub thread starter macrumors newbie

Convoluted?

It not convoluted for a photogrpaher working for a newspaper on deadline to need to transmit photos from places where wifi hotspots are hard to come by. Maybe you don't know everything.

Caravan is no differnt than FTP On The Go. You can only upload text files. What would jailbreaking do for me? If I can access photos and access an ftp site, I don't understand why someone can't write a piece of software to connect the two via downloads AND UPLOADS.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

AFAIK when you upload to the phone the pictures are downsized quite a lot so not sure if they'd be sufficient quality. Don't know of any FTP clients but you can upload to flickr or mobileme sites if that would be any use

5. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Newspaper photogs use iPhone cameras for work?

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

My husband is a photographer, and there is NO WAY you can get a ready to print photo on your camera. The thing is, we did add a hi-res large picture up on his phone and it locked up the photo viewer every time it came to it.. You will not be able to get professional quality images on your phone period.

I also would hope that you arent talking about using pictures from your iphone to send to a newspaper.. thats just silly, and if the picture is on your REAL camera, you weould have to put it onto a cpu and then to your iphone.. why not just email it to the newspaper right then and there.

My husband LOVES his iphone for his photography busines, but it is really only good for showing people what he CAN do. Its good to have a small library of your work right in your pocket on a pretty decent screen.. other than that, its not THAT usefull.

7. dazey macrumors 6502

Alternative is to jailbreak and share the iphones internet connection with your laptop. Search on Tether iphone 3G. There is a guide on modmyiphone.com as well.

8. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

No where do I claim to know everything, and yes that is a convoluted process for a PROFESSIONAL photographer. They (Newspaper or Publisher) should provided the needed tools to their employees (Broadband aircard) to preform the job required of them. If you are a freelance photographer you might want to consider investing in the tools to better accomplish your job (Broadband aircard).

As for Caravan;
    Sorry, the description read as it might suit your needs.
    I do not have a iPhone with the 2.x software on it to play with any of the App store apps. (long live 1.1.4!)

As for why something so simple as allowing file FTP w/current firmware/Apps et al.
    I suspect its an Apple limitation eg apps do NOT have access to the file system. Hence they can't access your camera roll or photo library.

9. ardpbub thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the posts. No I am not using my iPhone cam phone I am using a canon 1d mark ii. I am not on staff for a newspaper but a freelancer and am not provided with any equiptment from anyone. I used to tether my palm treo with my g4 and sent literally thousands of images this way. I have considered tethering the iPhone but am worried about the huge fees for overusing this. I am not sending images straight out of my camera but edited and compressed jpegs between 1 and 2 mb. I know that the iPhone has the technical capability to do this bc my treo could do it but I can't find the softwaRe.

10. iblastoff macrumors 6502

dear lord i'm glad you're not a freelance writer.

your photo transferring process still makes absolutely no sense.

11. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

cough cough slip the Phone sim back into the Palm and tether cough cough
    As long as you don't abuse the data package AT&T won't flag/hammer you.
    a couple dozen pics a week shouldn't flag your acct.

12. Nosimaj macrumors newbie

13. thebez macrumors regular

14. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Seems like the logical choice would be to get an aircard for you laptop.

If logic escapes you, you can wait for the official tethering app from apple/at&t and go that route.

regardless, why you'd need an FTP client for the phone is beyond me. You're creating the problem by putting pictures on your phone in the first place.

15. rloomans macrumors newbie

What you *really* want...

... is to jailbreak your iPhone and use PdaNet to tether: http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

Failing that, if you have a lot of patience, jailbreak your phone and install ncftp (a command line ftp client). You'll either need to also install OpenSSH to log in from your laptop/desktop or MobileTerminal if you want to do things directly on the phone.

Good luck!

16. honestabe52 macrumors newbie

17. applemacuser macrumors newbie

ftp for iPhone

The Apple App Store has ftp client app for around $7.. in addition to the photo uploader for free.

18. 8Limes macrumors newbie

Tethering

Just install the new carrier file from at&t on your iphone which will enable tethering. You don't have to ask AT&T for it. And they can't charge you either until they officially include it in there plan which is not the case yet. At the moment you have unlimited internet access (but officially limited to 5GB) you can use. My whole family does tethering for about 2 months now and we had not a single problem with it so far. Seems like AT&T Doesn't even know or can find out. After all i have been talking with the tech support about a voicemail issue they had to fix and he could not see if i have tethering available or not. When i have to write longer emails, send pictures, upload website etc. i tether my iphone all the time. i don't care about wi-fi spots to much (they are almost all protected anyway - and cracking them is more time consuming as well), i just hook up my laptop in the trunk to my car's power supply and touchscreen in the front (car computer), plug in the iphone on a usb port (also extended to the front) and i am good to go. i always am online whereever i go, can use skype on the road for free, send photos, videos etc. all i need is my car.

19. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

There was no carrier file at the time that the post was made, this is months old.

20. 8Limes macrumors newbie

The respond was about the other guys concern if they will charge him additionally etc.

And the carrier file is actually from late 2008 and out there for quite a while now. not just for at&t, but i believe for every phone carrier in the U.S and Europe.

21. brn2prgrm macrumors member

How on Earth could the carrier file be from late 2008 when Firmware 3.0 was the only software to support native tethering on the iPhone, and that didn't come out until June of this year?!

22. jehoover3 macrumors newbie

23. chrisgpix macrumors member

tethering is best

I'm a photographer and have been through this whole sending pix from the iphone thing, obviously you know the iphone "optimizes" images when they are synced (to tiny file sizes) I tried FTP on the Go (which does allow uploads) and it was ok as you could upload images from your laptop (via FTP) straight to the app via a phone to laptop wireless. I found it a less than ideal way to do things as sometimes the laptop wouldn't see the phone for some reason. Also there was no way to batch upload from FTP On the go. Sending 20 images was reeeally painful as you had to watch them go one by one. The ultimate way to send images is by tethering the iphone, it works fantastically literally plug in and go (or bluetooth) Of course some carriers charge you extra for tethering.

24. jehoover3 macrumors newbie

Yes You right. However I think PhotoFTP is better because it is "photo-specific". It has an embeded viewer with fast icon preview. Moreover it is easier and faster. FTP on the GO is more suitalbe as general porpouse FTP client.

25. MacManeman macrumors newbie

free ftp client

I've found a free ftp client for iPhone. You can upload photos from your iPhone Lib, but the pictures are uploaded as JPEGS??? (not png). Maybee to compress data and speed up the upload progress, but its fine for me.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ftpviewapp/id392508384?mt=8