FTP Client like Cute FTP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Broomie, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Broomie macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently switched to a Mac because the marketing is definitely works and after using one at College I've become accustomed to them so in words, I love them!

I'm happy with the alternative programs so far, all but a decent FTP client. I'm a website designer and I usually used CuteFTP which I thought was the best one I'd ever used so I was constantly using it. After getting my Mac I only assumed I'd get the same program but was very disappointed that it was completely different and very basic, nothing of it's PC version.

What I liked about it was not just the interface but the ability to edit within the program. I don't like FTP clients which launch a separate program because I just find it unattractive and I just prefer everything to be all in one without having to use other program to finish a task off. If you've ever used CuteFTP on the PC you should know what I mean.

So my question is, is there an FTP client which I could use that has this feature? And is attractive too? Not too bothered about the price but a nice, professional looking FTP client with this feature and the ability to chMOD files for permissions. I've noticed that CuteFTP Mac doesn't have that unless it's hidden somewhere which is surprising.

Thanks!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Edit what? Text documents? Personally I'd rather let a text editor do that job. I'm not aware of any strictly FTP clients that also have a text editor built-in.

I would recommend Transmit, however, as it's an excellent FTP app (in my opinion the best on OS X). It allows you to easily edit files using whatever app you want and instantly uploads as soon as you save. It also allows for modifying permissions.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If you're looking for a free alternative, Cyberduck is a good choice as well.

You may also want to check out this thread for further comments. :cool:

5. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Being a recent switcher, Bulletproof FTP was my client of choice in XP, but Transmit is so much better. $30 *well* spent :)

-Bryan

6. zoran macrumors 68020

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman