ftp client recommenations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macmesser, Sep 17, 2015.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I've been using Interarchy 10 ftp client for a while for maintaining a small business site and like it a lot. It's got a good feature set and is a venerable Mac app which is Applescript-able and fairly intuitive. Any program has occasional problems, such as I am now encountering. The usual advice I've gotten from support in the case of FTP clients is try another client. I thought it might be useful to get some community recommendations for best FTP software, with mention of compelling feature/s and how used. Any suggestions appreciated.

2. freiheit macrumors 6502a

I'm actually partial to Fetch (currently running version 5.7.5). It's an old standard on the Mac but it's still great. Single-pane interface, so drag and drop stuff to/from it as if it was a standard folder window.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Lots to choose. I happen to use Filezilla. It is not as pretty as some other FTP clients but
    works very well. Also they do constant work on it and fairly regular updates. Again, its
    at this point a matter of taste as many better clients have pretty much the same features.

4. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Another vote for Fetch from me. Been using for years. I love its UI simplicity and robust, reliable transfers.

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Filezilla. Free and gets regular upgrades. Lots of good features and very customization friendly.

6. dwig macrumors 6502

I also like FileZilla. Getting regular updates is CRITICAL for my web use as there are too many "evils" out there and the FTP server sites keep updating, or at least they should. I also like the fact that the UI and functionality are a very good match between Mac and Win, as I use both regularily.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I use YummyFTP
    http://yummyftp.com

Very fast and the developer is very responsive to questions or issues.

-Kevin

8. Larry-K macrumors 68000

9. emilg macrumors newbie

emilg

+1 for Transmit, dont know if its still being developed last update was 30 sep 2014

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

I just use "ftp" from the terminal window. It's already included with every Mac. I'm to lazy to go and get anything else. Actually it is about the most powerful and fastest ftp client out there. Very mature, the app was first released in 1983 and I've been using it for about 30 years.

11. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

That's a good point. If you want to upload/download from an AppleScript then you don't need a scriptable app. You can do it all using "do shell script" and curl/ftp. For example:

Code:
    set theFileListing to do shell script "curl ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/"
    Of course, if you need a GUI to do things manually then there are some good suggestions above, although I'd also add a vote for CyberDuck.

12. Tech198 macrumors G4

Cyberduck is another

13. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I imagine it is mature and pretty bullet proof. Will have to give it a try when I'm conversant with the command line. Must be somewhat tricky to set up something like a folder mirror, at least for a newb.

14. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not a unix guy, sadly. Perhaps ftp should be where I start learning, but I don't have time just now.

15. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've used it a few times and liked it. Features didn't match Interarchy but it seemed solid and fast.

16. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried it but, as with the others I've looked at besides Interarchy, I didn't get familiar enough with it to really judge. It did seem pretty fast. Active development and support are important.

17. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent support is a compelling feature in my book. Will take a look. User base is also important and is a support multiplier.

18. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to use it way back. It was what an old ISP gave me and as I recall was simple to use.

19. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Fetch and Transmit both. Each interface is different, and I find one or the other easier to use for different things. Also, ftp in a Terminal window, mostly for troubleshooting, scripted transfers, or setting up a new install (ftp home directory and other config files from main computer to new computer quickly, to get the profile going).