FTP Client Suggestion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stuart Raby, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Stuart Raby macrumors newbie

I have just purchased my first ever iMac and would like to know what is the best ftp client to purchase. I'm used to flashfxp from my previous windows machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Stuart

2. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I use FileZilla. It's free. It works well. And unlike other freeware, it doesn't sell my information because it doesn't collect any.

3. Stuart Raby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much i will give it a go :)

4. Stuart Raby thread starter macrumors newbie

5. notrack macrumors 6502

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've used Fetch since I switched to Macs 8 years ago.

It's been troublefree and does everything I need.

The people I know who work in big post houses and transfer huge files also use Fetch.

7. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

8. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I've used a few and find that filezilla is a more than decent piece of software with regular updates. What I appreciate is that it has easy access features often only associated with Windows based FTP software but remains quite OSX friendly.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I use and I also recommend it. A great app to be sure :)

10. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

The above suggestions are all good. I'd add that I've always liked https://cyberduck.io ...it's not free but it's a nice user-friendly GUI, if that's what you're after.

Also, don't forget that if you just download files with FTP then you can use "Connect to Server" from Finder's "Go" menu and connect to ftp sites a you would any AFP share. Bear in mind that you can't upload though.

Also, if you're comfortable with the command line and you're feeling old-school then you can do all your FTPing from the Terminal.

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_use_ftp_through_command_line_mac_os_x

11. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

CyberDuck

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I like YummyFTP. Tried FileZilla but didn't like the way it worked. I used to use WS-FTP on Windows but it was not available in a Mac version. Try a couple and see what works best for you.

13. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Ah hah! A good point. It's worth noting that you *have* to pay if you get it from the Mac App Store. However, its donationware if you get it direct from the CyberDuck website as SDDave2007 rightly points out.

14. Bambalazs macrumors newbie

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

FileZilla is what I tend to choose. It's open-source, actively maintained, compact, resource-respectful and quite reliable. It may not be the prettiest piece of software, but the price is right, and it's nicely functional for what I need to do.

It's free, so you might as well give it a try. https://filezilla-project.org

Even if you end up choosing other utilities like Transmit, you may find that you keep it around like I do.

16. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour