FTP configuration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tieuphi, Aug 22, 2007.

1. tieuphi macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

Can anyone tell me how to configure FTP server in OS 10.3.9 so that anonymous can read, write, and modify the folder. For example:
    user do the FTP to the directory then create a folder, modify the folder name and upload files into that folder.

Regards,

tp

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

What is this for?

Having anonymous connections with the ability to write to directories is dangerous. I would consider a different option.

3. tieuphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi CS68CAL,

Yeah, this is only for LAN users. I am new to MAC base. For windows base, it is easy that we let anonymous map to the drive and create folders and delete folders. This server is a storage server. Currently, we have a lot of MAC and PC users.

Regards,

tp

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

First, I would stop this policy right away.

Second, I would suggest changing to a different protocol. Change from FTP to Windows file sharing protocol and have your users map the drive. Then you can use Active Directory to allocate security objects and have granularity in your security, rather than having an all or nothing situation.

You don't want your interns having access to the files that your accountants have, do you?

Let alone have someone log on to your file server anonymously through an FTP connection and delete all your files "accidentally"

5. tieuphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi CS68cal,

No, they can do what ever they would like to do with that folder. The only thing is that they can ftp to that directory and put data or delete data. I have alread turned on ftp services. But, they can create folder and they can not delete it. That is the reason why they are screaming. I understand that we should do what they need not what they want. However, they got bigger mouths. I would say until they got the problem then they learn. For right now, I better make it work. :(:apple:

Thanks for your suggestions, but it is still not working for me...

Regards,

tp

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You should be able to get info (command-I) on the folder and set the permissions under the Ownership & Permissions. Under Others turn on Read & Write. I am recalling this by memory so you might have to tweak with it a bit.

7. tieuphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi friends,

Thank you for you suggestion. I have already turned on Read and Write permission for others (everyone?) on that folder. However, the anonymous users can only create a folder on that directory. They could not even change the folder name. So, there are a bunch of "new folder", "new folder 1", "new folder 2"... :(. I do not understand why it let you create a folder (write permission) then can not change name. I mean if there is an ownership in here, then anonymous is the owner. Is there any way that mac will change the ownership right after you created a folder on that directory (sharepoint)? This directory is owned by admin.

Regards,

tp

By the way, I got the error say: "Anonymous are not allowed to move/rename files." everytime I try to rename or delete the files

8. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

You can skip this whole issue by creating a single FTP user that you have all your users connect to the ftp shared resource with. Okay?

And for god's sake, don't start playing with the ownership of the directories.

9. tieuphi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your suggestion SC68Cal, the issue here is the users would like to connect to directory with out log in. I will try my best to make this happen, if they did not want to change their request. I am a little IT here and new with MAC world. They are the big shots, they would like to tell you what to do even it is unsecure and vulnerable and I gotta do what they want me to do (their way or highway)... I love :apple:

Thanks,

tp