FTP from desktop to web no client

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ghostchild, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

So I've heard there's a way to upload to my webserver without using a program. How do I configure my mac for this?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

I think you mean without having to get a client. As in using what you already have that ships with Mac OS X. There is no way you are going to run FTP without an FTP client.

The one that ships with Mac OS is called "ftp". Run it from the terminal by typing "ftp". But many people cannot type commands so they get a third party FTP client. No configuration is required if you can get out on the 'net. Just run the client.

3. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Well is there a program that just lets me click and drag files in to a window and it gets uploaded?

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

A FTP client. Cyberduck is free and works pretty well. Transmit is not free and works even better.

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

You can connect to FTP servers through the Finder, but I wouldn't recommend it. It sends passwords insecurely, and is pretty slow.

Panic's Transmit is a pretty good FTP client, and can create droplets which is probably what the OP is looking for. It's not free, but is good value.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, FTP doesn't encrypt the password either. That's why I generally use SFTP when connecting.

7. memco macrumors 6502

I just learned that Forklift has reduced the price significantly. I like the interface and think you should check it out if you're in the market for a good s/ftp client.