FTP guru's: Transmit vs Forklift

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by TheKnifeFight, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TheKnifeFight macrumors member

My FTP usage is fairly straightforward, pretty much just maintain a small forum and upload personal pictures/media to my other site.

I'm looking to purchase one of these titles but can't for the life of me decide. I like the droplet functionality and both seem fairly robust (doubt I'd use 100% of the features). I'd just like to know if there is a clear winner between the two. I don't mind spending the money on the software but I just want the better of the two.

Thought I'd get some advice from my fellow webmasters. :eek:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Any reason you're looking at paid ones rather than using a free app like Cyberduck? I haven't used the apps you mentioned so don't know how they compare feature-wise. Any specific features in Transmit/Forklift that you really like that a free app doesn't have?

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why not just use "ftp"? It ships with Mac OS X and you already have it. Yes I know it's not "point and click" and you'd have to type in "ftp" followed by the URL of your site.

There are many other free ftp utilities but you'd need to download those.

4. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I love Fetch personally. Drag-and-drop functionality as well as being able to open files directly from Fetch in BBEdit for editing.

Cyberduck does the job too, but the interface annoys me.

5. TheKnifeFight thread starter macrumors member

I'd prefer point and click. something simple with some "goodie" features.

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

7. iconz113 macrumors newbie

For me Forklift was the way to go. File browsing, File splitting and consolidating, Batch renaming, file synchronization, and more FTP network connection types that I've ever seen. If handles so many tasks that I perform on a regular basis for it was a natural fit for me. With forklift I was able to replace transmit, split&Concat, better finder rename, appdelete, chronosync, pathfinder. Im sure there are some features that one of those apps has that forklift doesn't but for what I needed, forklift does it all.

8. memco macrumors 6502

I'd say Forklift. I currently use Transmit which is an incredible combo with TextMate, but I'm planning to buy Forklift, because it has some nice features and a great interface.

9. iconz113 macrumors newbie

10. savar macrumors 68000

savar

FWIW, I use transmit and textmate A LOT. Does everything I need.

I never compared it to Forklift, though.

11. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

Agree with iconz113:

I actually just bought Forklift. Transmit definitely is nice (I only did the trial however). I was also looking to replace Bridge CS3 in my workflow. Forklift does that and then some.

I have also been using Cyberduck for some time. It works great as well.

I would definitely do the trial for both pieces of software. That is the only way to be sure.