FTP - new mac book pro user

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by africano, Nov 12, 2011.

1. africano macrumors member

Hi all,

Ive gotten a new mac book pro and its my first mac!! Ive always used filezilla on my pc so now Im looking for an ftp client for my new mac. Something that works well and is simple! oh and free!

thnks!

2. csjo00 macrumors regular

I use Cyberduck. It works pretty well.

It's $23.99 in the Mac App Store, but I'm sure you can find a version with ads in it for free..

3. ezramoore, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Filezilla is available on the Mac.

Transmit 4 kills CyberDuck, in my opinion. But your Mac as a built in FTP client in Finder. No uploading, but you can download. Just click Go > Connect to Server. Enter your address like this ftp://yourftpserver/ and click Connect.

Good software should cost money. Go buy Transmit 4, you won't regret it.

They have a trial too, so check that out first.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Panic Software's Transmit is probably one of the most popular FTP apps out there. I highly recommend that app.

5. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

6. ivnj macrumors 65816

Free wise cyberduck is bad. Always crashes all the time.

7. waynep macrumors 6502

Since you are used to Filezilla, why not use that on your Mac? Also keep in mind, like most "Unix" like systems, there is a command line version of FTP built in that you can use from there terminal.

wayne

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I'll second Fetch. It's cheap if you choose to pay for it; if you don't you get like a couple weeks with no restrictions, after that the only restriction is a countdown at launch before you can use it (which grows every time you open it, but really it's not that big a deal, and you can uninstall and reinstall to reset it). I think you'll find, after using it for a while, that it's worth the shareware price, but either way it'll get you going immediately. fetchsoftworks.com

9. Akarin macrumors 6502

Akarin

I personally use Filezilla. I was used to it on pc and was glad to find the same product on Mac OS.