FTP Permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Neo-Tech, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Neo-Tech macrumors regular

Hey,

Just wondering whether it's possible to get the good 'ol octal permissions in Finder? Like 777 etc

Thanks

2. Queso macrumors G4

Technically these are the permissions you set from the "Get Info" sharing & permissions section (user, group, everyone normally show). Anything more granular and you're probably better off dropping into the Terminal. Let's face it, if you know what 777 means you probably know how to do a chmod command.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

PathFinder has that feature in it. You could also make an Automator script to let you do it.

4. Neo-Tech thread starter macrumors regular

I know I can do it from Terminal, but it's just pain in the *** doing it to lots and lots of files.

I've had a look at Path Finder, would it be able to replace the normal Finder?
    I've made an Automator Script before, but I'm not sure how I'd go on about for making on chmod.

Thanks for the replies

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's designed as a Finder replacement, but I didn't like it well enough to pay for it. As for Automator, the way I'd go about it is having it do Terminal commands from its interface. You can do that with AppleScript syntax e.g., do shell script "chmod .." and have Automator pass the currently selected files to it. There's likely already a pre-built Automator or AppleScript that you can use.