FTP problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by papabill, Dec 8, 2010.

1. papabill, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

papabill macrumors member

ATTENTION anyone running Tiger or anyone familiar with Tiger

I have FTP checked in my System Preferences->Sharing. It says "FTP Access On" and "Other people can access your FTP server at ftp://192.168.0.2 or browse for 'PowerMac' by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder.

Now. From another computer on the same network, I can type in 'http://192.168.0.2' and get my web page. I type in 'ftp://192.168.0.2' and I get:
    Code:
     Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage 

What you can try: 
        Diagnose Connection Problems  

More information 
    nor does browsing for 'PowerMac' by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder. I have absolutely no idea how to get to my FTP (nor where my FTP files would go)

So, any ideas what is not being done correctly?

Thanks

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Which version of Internet Explorer are you testing this with? Do you have the Enable Folder View for FTP sites option checked in Internet Options?

Also, for security reasons, anonymous FTP is not turned on when you enable the built-in FTP server.

3. papabill thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying to access the FTP from another computer on my home network using IE 8, and Enable FTP folder view is checked. How do I log in using name/password (how do I set up name/password?). Please excuse these incredibly dumb questions, I'm just incredibly new to Mac OS X

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The user name and password required is the one you enabled in Sharing preferences. If you did not enable any accounts, then... you'll obviously be unable to log in from another computer.

5. papabill thread starter macrumors member

It never gave me the option to enter a user/password.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

It won't on the Windows end, if you didn't do the required setup on the Mac end.

7. papabill thread starter macrumors member

No, what I meant was that when I enabled FTP sharing on the Mac through System Preferences, it just said "FTP Access On" and "Other people can access your FTP server at ftp://192.168.0.2/ or browse for 'PowerMac' by choosing Network from the Go menu in the Finder."

There is no place to set up FTP accounts anywhere.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Huh. Are you not using Snow Leopard then? I am, and it requires some additional setup work be done in the Sharing pane of System Preferences - namely, at least one account needs to be turned on. Attached is a picture showing what I mean - you click Options after clicking File Sharing in the Sharing pane to bring up that dialog.

Attached Files:

9. papabill thread starter macrumors member

No, I'm using Tiger 10.4.11 on an old G4 AGP Minitower.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sigh - in that case I can't help, as I no longer have access to a Mac capable of running Tiger.

11. papabill thread starter macrumors member

:):):) Hey!!! I'll be glad to sell ya one...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

12. clerici79 macrumors newbie

I'm able to FTP using 1 of the 2 user accounts in that sharing window. I can't figure out why the 2nd one won't allow. My primary account(admin) has no problems but the "sharing only" account i created can't log in.