FTP program for mac?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hello,

new at using ftp on my school's server, i have a windows ftp program that is free and automatically configured on my windows machine, but no mac counterpart.

which free mac ftp program do you all suggest?

thanks,
r.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Cyberduck is a nice, free application, perfect for the occasional, non-critical ftp transfer. V. 2.6 was more than a little buggy, but most of those bugs should have been taken care of with 2.6.1 (and hopefully now with 2.6.2).

On the other hand, if you have to rely on the ftp program for work/school, then the $25 spend on Transmit is well worth it. You can never underestimate the value of a rock solid ftp client.

Also: For future questions, try searching/browsing a bit round here at MR... you'll find that many, many questions has already been answered... ;)

Cloudgazer

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2005
RSA
I've never even heard of CyberDuck - wil check it out.

I use CuteFTP - simply because when i swtiched i was used to using it on a PC.
It works like a charm - There is a cost for it - but it wasn't expensive.

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
whyrichard said:
Hello,

new at using ftp on my school's server, i have a windows ftp program that is free and automatically configured on my windows machine, but no mac counterpart.

which free mac ftp program do you all suggest?

thanks,
r.
There's always the 'ftp' command via Terminal if you're feeling hard core. You can use the Finder to connect to FTP servers too I think by using the Go->Connect To Server menu option.

I think.

L

Lau

I like Fetch too. It isn't free, but if you're in education you get a free licence, which is rather good of them. You just have to apply online and they approve you and send you a link to a free edu licence. :)