FTP program with drag & drop / resulting url info?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peanutismint, Jan 22, 2010.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

I've recently purchased some webspace to which I upload files via FTP and then link to the files I upload on my various blogs.

With a view to simplifying the procedure, can anybody suggest to me a program into which I can drag & drop any file, have it upload in the background, and then allow it to provide me with a user-clickable url rather than an FTP link to the file?

I've been using Transmit, which I really enjoy, but I can't seem to find an option to grab a url that's viewable to everybody - despite me uploading the files to my public_html directory it just copies an ftp:// link, which is of no use to anybody, and I then have to go into my webspace client's file manager system online and grab the user-viewable url...

I seem to remember a program like this existing, one that would sit up in your taskbar and be active and waiting for files to be dropped into it for upload at any time but i had no use of it back then...

Any ideas?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The issue is, the FTP program doesn't know what your web domain is. The FTP server address is sometimes different from the web server address. It can't assume things. I use Cyberduck and when you right-click on a file it gives an option for "Open Web URL" but it doesn't form the correct URL for me. This may differ depending on the path you give when connecting. It's a free download though so you can give it a try.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Ah cool, thanks for that; I've heard of this - will give it a try! :)