FTP question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elgrecomac, Apr 4, 2009.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I have attached a HD with some files on it to a linksys WRT350N wireless router. I have configured the linksys as a FTP site and have SUCCESSFULLY connected to it via Windows XP and Win7 on Fusion on my MBP. No problems what so ever....now here is the kicker...

I have tried to access the same HD on my MBP via SERVER/Connect with no luck. I then tried to use an FTP client on my MBP with NO LUCK. So what gives?

I can use windows on a Mac to get to the FTP address but on OSX, no way, Jose? Really? I MUST be doing something wrong.

Suggestions?

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The Finder cannot connect to a FTP server, hence why you cannot connect via Go > Connect > Server. You can only connect to AppleShare, SMB, NFS and WebDAV servers.

I have no idea why the FTP software wouldn't connect, though. What are you using? Try using the terminal to connect, see if it works there.

3. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sure Finder can connect to FTP servers. i was just able to connect to my ISP webspace via FTP in Finder by typing "ftp://users.on.net" into Connect to Server. its just there is no write support in Finder so you have to use an FTP client like Cyberduck to copy files.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you double checked the port settings in Cyberduck or tried a different client?

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

There are a couple others, Transmit and Filezilla. Are you connecting on the default port 21? or did you put the ftp server on another port?

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

You can open an FTP connection from terminal, just type: "ftp hostname" (without quotes) where hostname is the name or IP address of the drive/server you are connecting to.

8. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I don't know if this will help, as I've only been using Fusion for the past week or so.

I've noticed that when connecting another drive or peripheral, Windows will often take control of it before OS X has a chance.

For instance, I connected my iPhone yesterday when Windows was running, and instead of it being recognized by OS X (iPhoto and iTunes starting), Windows grabbed it and started installing the needed drivers. The same has occurred with my USB flash drive -- when connecting, Windows will grab it before OS X has a chance. As soon as I disconnect either, then OS X will pick it up and do it's normal thing on the Mac side. Neither are configured as shared drives

Could it be that you can't FTP connect through OS X because of a similar issue?

9. elgrecomac thread starter macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

more info

port=21

fusion is not rnning. tried o access after rebooting the MBP. Still no luck