FTP Server

Karatehero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh
Greetings!

Beware - I'm a noob - trying to do something not so easy (I think).

In a nutshell, I want to make an ftp server for some clients so they can dump files to it. I have all Windoze users but was planning on using a Mac for the server.

My reason for this is that I felt I could use the File Vault feature of OSX to secure data just in case the server grew legs. That way, valuable customer data can't be accessed. I was able to crack the Windoze encryption simply by copying it to another computer. Not too good.

My sticking point is that I can't find a good secure FTP server app for the mac. I found a couple, but neither are what I would consider stellar.

What would you guys suggest? Am I doing this the wrong way?

Karatehero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh
But thats not really a secure server is it? I would probably be having customers posting accounting documents and files with this connection. Is there something tighter?

Karatehero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ahh, thats it. Kewl.

I downloaded a program called WinSCP3 that keeps 2 directories mirrored. Thats definately a start. I'd like to find one that runs on a schedule, but I'm sure its out there. My customers would complain if they had to start that program by hand all the time.

Thanks for all your help, I think this will work!