Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Is it just me or is there really no client on OS X that uses SSL instead of TLS?:confused: I just purchased a 70USD ftp client (CuteFTP Pro for Mac) and it seems like it is not even able to connect to windows ftp servers using ioftpd with SSL. I also tried captain ftp but same problem: both only connect using TLS. Any recommendations perhaps?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
FWIW:

Here's a protocol selection from Transmit:

Attachments

• Protocol.jpg
    Protocol.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 195

bartvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Great. I'll try to get a refund for CuteFTP since I think it's quite dubious when they say they support SSL/TLS while in fact it's only TLS. Too bad transmit doesn't FXP but that's ok...

bartvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
Apparently there's more to it. I tried a trial version of transmit but I can't connect using implicit SSL. I'm getting an error like this when connecting to ioftpd running SSL:

error:140770FC:SSL
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

so TLS/SSL(which is basically just TLS) doesn't work to ioftpd and implicit SSL doesn't work either. Is there another kind of SSL ftp connection that I'm missing here?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bartvl said:
routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol

Perhaps the FTP server is running a newer or more outdated version of SSL that won'tplay with Transmit? I'd contact their support for help on whether SSL is fully functional in the non-pay version before going any further.

bartvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
yellow said:
Perhaps the FTP server is running a newer or more outdated version of SSL that won'tplay with Transmit? I'd contact their support for help on whether SSL is fully functional in the non-pay version before going any further.

As far as I could see the trial version only has a time limit. I can actually select the implicit SSL option from the dropdown box and startup the connection. If the problem were a more recent or older version of the SSL engine then I think a lot of people would have problems.(i can't imagine it would be unable to connect to an FTP server because it was running an older SSL engine version)
I have sent an email to transmit to verify though...never know for sure.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Sorry I don't know much about FTPing thru secure socket layers. Apparently there's no FTP server on the remote end?

Frankly I see this question from time to time and most of the time it ends up i the same place. Nothing for the Mac.

bartvl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2006
yellow said:
Sorry I don't know much about FTPing thru secure socket layers. Apparently there's no FTP server on the remote end?

There is an FTP server on the remote end, I can connect to it fine from windows using FlashFXP.

yellow said:
Frankly I see this question from time to time and most of the time it ends up i the same place. Nothing for the Mac.

Yes, it's sad it is not available on Mac while it is widely available on Windows. At least I got a refund from CuteFTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.