FTP Through Airport Extreme Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by willyq711, Jun 22, 2008.

1. willyq711 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

First of all, I'd like to clarify that I am running MAC OSX Leopard, Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu Linux on my home network. I was an IT Director in my previous career and familiar with the technical workings of the proper network setup. I am having issues with the FTP Server. I have a NAS (Network Access Storate Device w/RAID 1) DLink DNS-323 which is great, and the FTP Server works just as well "within" my private network behind my router. Unfortunately, it does not when accessing from the public internet. I have checked and double checked, as well as tried different settings to get this to work. I am using an Apple Airport Extreme with a Netopia DSL modem attached (Pass Through Mode) using PPPoE. I can actually authenticate from the public internet into the DNS, but after authenticating, my browser just stays in loading mode; therefore it is reaching it at some point (BTW, I know it is b/c I also purposefully entered a wrong password and it returned an access denied message). I know the DNS-323 FTP Server is working, as I said before, it works when I access it directly behind my router (private network), so I know my browsers (Tried Safari, Firefox and Explorer) and have confirmed the settings on both the DNS and my Apple router numerous times. All ports on both sides are set to 21 (DNS and Private/Public on the Airport Extreme). I've ensured to assign a static IP on the router for the DNS-323. What can be causing this failure to access the FTP Server??

2. spsullivan macrumors newbie

spsullivan

I am having the same issue

While I do not have the same background as willyq711, I also am having the same issues within the network everything works fine, but when I tried to get the FTP server working it did not. I do have some experience with FTP, I often have to do this for clients and have not had any issues until now. IF anyone has any suggestions it would be helpful.