Ftp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kingofnothing, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Kingofnothing macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm trying to go about making it so my Girlfriend 5 states away can download a 12.6 GB file from my HD. I've been told that FTP is the best way to go about this but I haven't the faintest idea how to set it up. I'm trying to send a collection of files that make up the Warhammer Online beta client. she's then going to drag the folder i send her into her windows partition and hopefully all will be right with the world. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you search these forums, you will find many threads about using FTP. I suggest limiting your searing to "ftp" in thread titles.

You can also find links to FTP software recommendations in our Links to Software Recommendation Threads thread.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

dont use FTP when your OS already brings ssh and scp.

i hope you have that file split in RARs, or if the demo comes split already.

enable SSH access for your mac from the firewall rules and in services (might have to forward port 22 if you have a router). then (if she has a unix-like OS) she can type such in the terminal

Code:
    $ scp -r user@yourip:/address/of/the/file ~/Desktop/ 
    where "user" would be your mac login info or an account made for her.

4. Kingofnothing thread starter macrumors newbie

FTP for dummies

Hi i asked yesterday for a good FTP client and was promptly directed to the list of good freeware post. I've now downloaded and installed Fugu and am wondering how to go about finding out my girlfriend's FTP address. If anyone could take me step by step assuming we both have fugu, or even just point me to a preexisting FAQ/guide i would be forever grateful.

It seems like the easiest thing to do is to turn her computer into a host and then drop the file onto her desktop. Am I right? But I'm unsure how to connect to her, she's behind college of charleston's network. any ideas?

5. Corrado33 macrumors member

Honestly if you're just trying to send one file or so, if you both have iChat just send it over there. iChat to AIM will even work, or the other way around depending on how stuff is set up. I don't know if you'll be able to set her computer to act as an FTP server as she is behind a college network.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Kingofnothing: We've merged your two threads so the context of your question is clear.