Fuel for the 'front-facing camera' fire?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Leemo, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Heh, could be but man I doubt it. Look at the condition of the top of that iPhone... looks like it's been though a vat at Mc Donalds. :eek:

3. meagain macrumors 68030

there's already a whole thread on this below.

4. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

Watching the actual video makes it painfully obvious that it's a fingerprint with the glare from the stage lights reflecting off of it.

6. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Obvious? Care to make a small wager on that obviousness admanimal? :D

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

Yes, actually, I am so sure that is a fingerprint with glare that I would wager just about anything I own. That's not to say that a front-facing camera won't appear later somewhere on the phone, maybe even close to that spot, but in that video, on that phone, I am 100% sure there is no front facing camera.

Here is another screen grab from the HD version of the keynote video. Still think there could be a camera on the front there?

[​IMG]

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

How about this. If video conferencing is announced for the iPhone 3G prior to July 11, you owe me a new phone case of my choosing ... say under $35 pre tax.

If I'm wrong I owe you a case.

Deal?

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I usually dont buy into that kinda stuff, however the radius of that "fingerprint" seems to be a tad small.. and it seems perfectly round.. however you can kinda see other DEFINITE fingerprints on the rest of the screen that kinda look like that too..

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

No, that is not what I am saying at all. All I am saying is that the spot that gizmodo thinks could be a camera is obviously not a camera, and that there is no front facing camera -on the phone in that video-

I specifically said that I have no idea whether there could be a front-facing camera in the future.

What indication do we have that the phone in that video is even a 3G phone at all? It could very well be a 1st gen iPhone.

EDIT: OK now I see more clearly what people are saying could be the camera...not the smudge itself but the round looking thing under it...I'm going to check the HD video again but I'm still going with not a camera.

11. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=497147&page=6

Check out post #135

12. TexasAg macrumors member

At this point, I'd be shocked if there was a front camera. But I've seen this picture posted on other threads, and you can't see ANY of the sensors in that picture. We know there are sensors there, so you can't use this picture to say there is no front-facing camera. You need a picture where you can see some of the sensors and no front-mounted camera.

13. admanimal macrumors 68040

Ah cool thanks

Yeah I see what people are talking about now...I'm going to watch the keynote again and see what I can see.

14. meagain macrumors 68030

How come people don't give any thought to the smaller 'hole' on the right which appears to be exactly on the other side of the real cam?

And, why are people expecting this big hole in the front? I contend it would look like a sensor - hard to see - and small under the glass. Small like the cam on the back.

15. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

It defiantly looks like a camera. We will see though, if it is that would be sweet.

16. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I agree. Its easily the same size as the camera on my macbook air.

17. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Umm... let me get this straight.

You are looking at close up pictures of one of the iPhones used in the keynote earlier this week and trying to determine whether or not there is a front facing video camera on them.

Have you entirely missed the already established fact that what you are looking at - because what was exclusively used on stage during the keynote - is a first generation iPhone?

... you aren't even looking at pictures of an iPhone 3G. :rolleyes:

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

19. meagain macrumors 68030

Benmrii - You are very wrong. Everyone knows the demo was a 3g camera. The side edges tell it all. Do you have an iPhone? If so, you know it's not the same. The 3g's border is akin to a Touch.

20. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

May want to keep your day job ben! ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=497147&page=6

Check out post #135

21. cgray24 macrumors member

While I want to believe...

I think such hardware secret is far fetched. The YouTube app of the last version was software, and more than likely just wasn't finished or they feared it wouldn't be ready on launch so they didnt say anything about it.

This also isnt a replacement of an item like replacing the glass or battery. This is a major hardware design and development item. Theres a slight chance they are holding it off, maybe even for the software that controls it not being ready, but I cant image a software thats souly in their hands (unlike the collaboration needed for the YouTube app) not being ready. Thats such a major wooo ahh factor that could potentially counter some of the negative feedback of AT&T plan changes that I cant believe they would hold off on it.

But maybe im wrong, I often am.. :)

22. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

23. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Um.....OK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. meagain macrumors 68030

You are wrong. Everyone knows it was a 3g in the demos. Yes it was in a case. Of course it was. It wasn't announced yet. The new iPhone has basically the same size specs as an old. I have an incase rubber case here and I'd bet anything I can stretch that over a 3g.

You must not have an iPhone yourself. Because it's really obvious. But believe what you want. No problemo.

25. impact_blue macrumors regular

It's a bubble from a screen protector. Plus if it were a camera it'd be too far left even for the NEW cases with the wider openings on top.