Fuji X-Pro1 Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by bwhli, Feb 2, 2012.

1. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

The Fuji X-Pro1 has opened up for preorders on Amazon again! It was closed a few hours ago, but it just opened back up. Can't wait for mine to arrive...:)

2. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Look at it, waiting to see the new Oly OM-D and B&H's prices for both.

3. poppap macrumors member

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ouch, that's more $$ then some DSLRs. I know my current camera Nikon V1 is pricey so I'm not going to start ranting on price of a ML camera but I wonder how it will perform.

I'm not familiar with fuji cameras.

5. Macman45, Feb 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm a big Fuji fan, but I'm not even going to look at the UK price...It's about $ for £, and that would put the Fuji at a HUGE 4K....I'm looking for a newbie, but I'm not paying that kind of cash for an untested / properly reviewed camera.

Out of curiosity....:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-fuji-x-pro1-black-digital-camera-body/p1528937

And that's a discount price...!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And from the same supplier WITH lens:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-nikon-d7000-digital-slr-camera-with-18-105mm-vr-lens/p1522472

Hmm, I wonder, just how good is that Fuji?

6. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

I was excited about this camera initially, but if the x100 and the x-pro1 previews are any indication, it has both poor autofocus and poor manual focus (compared to its competitors). Sensor and lens quality mean nothing if there isn't a way to achieve reliable focus quickly.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

How do they justify the huge price then?

8. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Fuji is gunning for Leica with this system. Compared to Leica, it's a bargain (as are most things). If the lenses have good optics, they aren't unreasonably priced. The body seems too expensive for what it offers on paper, but specs don't cover things such as build quality, handling, aesthetic appeal, and other intangibles that contribute to the price target consumers are willing to pay for it.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it was full frame I might accept that. But you can't really compare the full-frame M9 with a half-frame camera like this. If I wanted a half-frame camera like a Leica I'd by a second hand Leica M8. Which is cheaper. Or an Epson RD-1 which is cheaper again (and I actually own one).

From the sample images I've seen the 35mm is soft in the corners with quite a bit of CA/magenta fringing. Again nothing like the quality I'd expect for this price, let alone taking it to Leica.

10. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

@robbieduncan

The Fuji system is less expensive than the Leica M system, across the board. A quick glance at eBay/Google tells me that the used price of an M8 is around $2500 (and one on FredMiranda with a beat up screen for $2000), which is a bit more than the ~$1700 being asked for a new X-Pro1, and a lot to ask for a 5-year old body housing a sensor that performs about as well as that of a Nikon D200 (~$500 used). While a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 is roughly the same price ($600) as the equivalent Fuji X lens, the Leica equivalent goes for around $3500 used and $5000 new. Regardless of the quality of Leica lenses, they are unreasonably expensive for most people.

The main point is that Fuji has designed a digital camera with a style that no one else but Leica currently offers, for which they can charge a premium.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I almost bought one on Friday for £1300. But I decided I already had one half-frame digital rangefinder. In all honesty I don't care what it looks like all that much. I care about the quality of the images captured and how much the camera gets out of my way to get them. And that's where this seems to fail from what I've seen.

12. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

I agree. I was in the same boat; very tempted to buy, initially, but it doesn't seem to me that Fuji has done enough to streamline the shooting experience.

13. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Still, I expect it to be very popular. Look at the mixed reviews on the X100 and it's strong sales. It is a sexy camera but one that I, too, probably can't justify picking up.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That seems to go with any camera these days. I think reviewers need to drive clicks to their sites and so they've gotten quite a bit picky and over the top with their criticism at times. Take the Nikon 1 system that I have, its generally garnered a somewhat negative review but from what I see unofficially on amazon, its up their as a top seller.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How long did those strong sales really last? When it was new if you could find one for £999 you could flip it on eBay for £1200 (I nearly bought one to do that when Jessops in Canary Wharf had stock early on). Now it seems you can get a new one on eBay for about £650, second hand for more like £500.

16. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Maflynn - Yes, we have a couple of Oly Pens. Pens have their detractors and we knew the limitations of m4/3's going into our purchases but like and use those cameras a lot, probably for many of the same reasons that you like your Nikon.

robbieduncan - not sure. The fact that they sold above list at first is telling about that niche market. B & H, and others, still has them at list along with numerous reviews.

Again, I am not sure that I can justify purchasing one but I sure would like to take one for a week-end. We will probably give more consideration to the upcoming Oly OM-D, which is different camera style than the X-Pro1, as we already have m4/3s lenses.