Fuji's new FinePix X100 large-sensor compact

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pdxflint, Sep 19, 2010.

1. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Now this is a camera I think I might really want. It's a rangefinder with a viewfinder, manual controls, fixed wide-normal f/2 prime lens... very appealing to me because I really miss my old 35mm Olympus rangefinder (with it's 42mm, f/1.7 fixed prime) and spotmeter, fully manual camera from the early-mid seventies.
    I don't need it to be interchangeable lens capable if the lens is good enough... this would be a street camera, quiet, fast, stealthy...

http://dpreview.com/news/1009/10091910fujifilmx100.asp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

It looks beautiful and elegant. Definitely one I'd like to have.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Rumours are a pretty high price. But it is a very pretty camera. Hopefully IQ to match.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

5. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Bizarre... Looks like my dad's Leica (which must be 60 years old)...

6. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Wow, a very nice camera. I'd really like to take it for a photo safari in the city!

7. pdxflint thread starter macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Okay... you're correct. It's a rangefinder-style camera with a reverse-Galilean optical finder and a high-speed contrast AF system... one gold star for you. ;)

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I've seen a video with the viewfinder in action, all I can say is wow! This is exactly the kind of innovation that has been missing and I'd have expected Solms to figure out such a solution rather than Fuji. :wow:

Apparently you can select between optical viewfinder with all sorts of digital information laid into it and a fully electronic high-res viewfinder. I'm curious about two things now:
    (1) How does manual focus work?
    (2) How much is it?

9. = bluntman = macrumors regular

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Probably only in EVF mode, and in manual mode, something like 5x zoom automatically turns on so that you can tell whether something is actually focused or not.

And yes, the Tokina 16-28 mm lens is meant for both FF and "DX" Nikon cameras.

11. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Looks absolutely great, but why why why why no interchangeable lenses?

Seriously.

12. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Seriously: It doesn't need interchangeable lenses. Better to have one lens and make it great.

There are already small camera systems with interchangeable lenses. There's only one other camera like this, and it belongs to Leica.

13. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

Regarding interchangeable lenses, I think the problem is that Fuji doesn't have the resources or intentions to make its own mount. If it uses someone else's mount, they pretty much have to use a dslr mount -- which it will throw this nice camera off balance.

The focal length is, in my opinion, very well chosen. I have a DP1 and I wish it had 35 mm instead of 28 mm. If the reviews are good and if it feels good in my hands, I'll very seriously consider getting one.

14. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

I just like the body a lot, with all its crazy knobs and dials, and it's exactly the sort of design that I've been wanting to see in a mirrorless ILC.

I know, boo hoo ;)

15. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

What do you think the price range will be?

It looks very similar to a Leica, and they can go for many thousands.

16. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

According to google translations, between 120,000 and 150,000 Yen which is roughly 1,100~1,350 € (+ VAT which can be a hefty 25 %). That's about the same amount you have to pay for a D300s or a 7D in Japan.

17. pdxflint thread starter macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I used to shoot with a Fujica SLR and had a couple of Fujinon EBC (electron beam coating..whatever that means) prime MF lenses that were just fantastic. The color, contrast and sharpness were standouts, and the overall impression of image quality was excellent, and that's even in comparison to the great Pentax SMC Takumars lenses available at the time. It's not like Fuji hasn't had a history of making great optics, especially primes. I think this prime, single focal length lens will be great on this camera.

Reminds me of the Olympus 35sp rangefinder (yes, actual rangefinder ;)) from the late 60s early 70s which had a 42mm f/1.7 fixed lens on it that got raves at the time for it's IQ wide open. (yeah, I'm repeating myself... :))

18. flight macrumors regular

Ah, another Sigma DP owner! I agree that 35mm is well chosen and can probably go wider with a high-quality converter for landscapes.

BTW, if you find the DP1's 28mm FOV limiting, why not go for the DP2? Tired of the DP's slowness and unreliability? :D I'm considering the DP2, but not until the price goes down a bit. I'm afraid this Fujifilm will be out of my price range.

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK, that's a lot less than people were talking about on dpreview. I can just about accept that as a reasonable price :)

20. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I hope you're right and the webpage I've found is wrong -- anything that makes this camera more affordable! :D
    The DP1 was significantly cheaper, I picked it up for only 140 € in mint condition! The DP2 sells for pretty much twice that amount.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you don't include design, then the Sigma is similar in concept. In fact, I like the photo quality of their sensor as well.

Anyway, this camera seems absolutely fantastic. However, I actually wish the lens wasn't so wide. :eek: Yes, that's the opposite of what OreoCookie wants, so I guess it's really difficult to make everyone happy. I still feel that I'd get more out of a lens with a FOV a bit more narrow....perhaps a 28 mm.

This is probably great for street photography, but for portraits, or even people shots from the waist up, it won't be great.

22. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I very much like the DP1 for its limitations: it's slow and you cannot crop as much so you have to watch your composition.
    Well, if you're unhappy with your X100, I'm more than happy to trade my DP1 for the X100 :p
    To me, it's a tad too wide for candid street photography, I get too much stuff on the picture. Since the DP1 has only 5 MP (very good ones, but 5 MP nonetheless), I cannot crop as much.

23. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I would love to buy this camera. I need to get a PnS size as my 5DII with Grip is just too big for some things, especially if all I'm doing is running around with my 17-40 attached.

AND, this is one sexy camera. I LOVE the dials.

I'll be saving for this one.

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

So dpreview have published a hands-on preview. And even better a Norwegian site have posted some samples, including high-ISO shots, from an early pre-production camera. I'd say it's looking good. Good enough for the price (pre-orders are up in the US at $1200)? Maybe.