Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwilley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hi,
After reading multiple rave reviews on the IX500 Scanner, I went ahead and bought one yesterday. The installation was straightforward and the scanner is now up and running pretty much as expected.

However, I do I have one niggle that I'm trying to sort out.

The scanner connects to the Fujitsu application on my macbook pro but it does not show up in the "print and scan" page in the system preferences. I've tried to add a scanner but to no avail. Nothings seems very obvious. Also updated latest software - I'm running 10.8.4.

So my questions are: Should I be able to see the scanner in the "print and scan" page. If yes, any clues as to what I should to do - I am assuming that the Fujitsu driver should be capable of doing this as the Fujitsu software seems to be running well and it must be seeing the scanner

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Tom,

I have the predecessor (ScanSnap S1500M), and it does not show up in the "print and scanner" page.

I typically have mine set up to scan directly into DevonThink Pro Office (which is >99% of what I use)... but I have used it to scan to a folder on rare occasion.

I predict that you will really enjoy your scanner. I do not think there is any other scanner in the same league as Fujitsu... at least at consumer price points.

/Jim

tomwilley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply.
I also have it set up to scan directly into Devonthink Pro. As you say it seems to be running very well. Attempting to go paperless.

Still, curious as to why it wouldn't show up in the preferences.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Have the same scanner, also doesn't show up on my iMac. Absolutely love the scanner though, best I have ever used.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Still, curious as to why it wouldn't show up in the preferences.

I believe this is because it's not TWAIN enabled, as it only works with the ScanSnap software you get with it. Search Google &/or see here:
http://scansnapcommunity.com/tips-tricks/162-why-doesnt-scansnap-come-with-twain-drivers

I have the S1500M too, which has the better CCD sensors rather than the IX500's CIS sensors. Although with paperwork, the difference is not likely to matter.

One annoyance with the newer IX500 is it is NOT a network scanner: the wireless function is only for local iOS devices. Which for me makes it a complete waste of time to upgrade.

If you want a network scanner, Fujitsu's N1800 at a mere £1250/US$1800!

BONUS TIP: batch OCRing set-up (you'll probably want to do OCRing this way to save lots of your valuable time!)...
http://scansnapcommunity.com/tips-tricks/7037-how-to-batch-ocr-after-scanning-using-scansnap-for-mac

^very useful for a great many users.^

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
One way to make a scanner into a "pseudo" network scanner... is to connect the scanner to a single computer via USB... and use the "scan to folder" setting pointed to a shared dropbox folder.

At home... the ScanSnap is captive to my machine... and nearly 100% of the time goes directly into DevonThink Pro Office.

Our printer also has a flatbed scanner (which we almost never use), but sometimes we need to scan something (ex: a book) that does not work well with a sheet scanner. This flatbed is attached to my wife's iMac... but it is set to go into our shared scanner folder in drop box. Hence, it automatically shows up in both of our machines (as well as our laptops).

For a small home office... this is acceptable to me.

/Jim

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Our printer also has a flatbed scanner (which we almost never use), but sometimes we need to scan something (ex: a book) that does not work well with a sheet scanner. This flatbed is attached to my wife's iMac... but it is set to go into our shared scanner folder in drop box. Hence, it automatically shows up in both of our machines (as well as our laptops).

/Jim

My wife just hands it to me and asks if I can scan it for her.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
My wife just hands it to me and asks if I can scan it for her.

You have it good. If my wife has something on her computer that she knows I would want in DevonThink... she prints it out, so that I could scan it.

I am not making this up... but she has other qualities. ;)

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.