full backup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dwcasey, Jul 3, 2008.

1. dwcasey macrumors member

I plan on calling/emailing the software vendor on this question as well, but wanted to run it past you guys.

I have a mac-mini that I'm looking to sell so I can get a slight upgrade in the form of an iMac or macbook pro.

I do some web development work using Realmacsoftware's RapidWeaver application.

Prior to selling the mac mini, I thought about purchasing SuperDuper and backing up the mini to an external hard disk.

Once complete, mini sold, new computer arrives, do I just reinstall my packages files or is there a way to "merge" my backup onto my new machine??

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You can purchase SuperDuper, but there is a free alternative called "Carbon Copy Cloner" that you can use.

Once you get the new Mac, just use the "Migration Assistant" to transfer your files. DO NOT CLONE BACK FROM THE EXTERNAL DRIVE! The clone you you make from the Mini is based on the Mini architecture. The other Macs you are considering are a different architecture. If you clone back, you will most likely make the new Mac un-bootable.

All you need to do, before you powerup the new Mac, is connect the cloned external drive. Once you power on, the Migration Assistant should start automatically and ask you if you want to restore your settings and files.

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you have a firewire cable, you won't need an external drive. Just boot your Mini in Target Disk Mode (hold down the "t" key until you get the blue screen with the floating firewire icons, connect the firewire cable to the Mini and new Mac, and boot the new Mac.

Migration Assistant should start automatically. Just specify the transfer from your old mac (Mini).