Full bars, No connection

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danvan21, Feb 2, 2009.

1. danvan21 macrumors regular

Hello peoples,

so, here is the deal i hope someone can help. I have the 2.4ghz aluminum macbook, late '08. I go to a community college that is pretty large, compared to community colleges. I have full bars most of the time at school but about 50% of the time there is no connection. On mozilla i get an error to contact the server administrator and i just get a no network on safari. I installed windows 7 and there is also full bars but no connection. My friends, who have PCs, connect fine. There s a dell netbook and a 50lbs Toshiba laptop. I tried talking to the IT department at school but 1 of them didnt know how to operate my trackpad, my 8 yr old sister does every day, and the only other guy there said he would not operate a mac. Needless to say i was pretty pissed off. I have already tried different Ip adresses and like i sid two different OS. Any of you have any idea?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

has the IT department released instructions on how to connect to the wireless network? if its written for Windows we could maybe help you set it up in Mac OS X. besides it might be even easier to setup on a Mac.

3. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

I should have posted this before but, each student has a password and ID. When you open the browser you are redirected to a login page. its a 50-50 chance that i will get to that page on either OS. There is really no written instructions or details.

4. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Do you need to put the login and password in that page in the web browser ? Or it's just some page from the school saying that you don't have acces ?

5. om3ga785 macrumors member

is your airport connection assigning an IP address to you? the airport card wireless signal usually shows full bars until about 80% signal strength, then it starts dropping down.

are you making sure your not connecting to an AD-HOC (computer-to-computer) connections?

Under network preferences and clicking on advance, under TCP/IP do you have numbers assigned to both the IP and the router?

i know for a fact the older model powerbooks and macbooks had issues with signal strength and distance with the older airport cards, but im assuming that's been addressed with the unibodys.

i pick up networks without any issues and similar strength to my old dell laptop i had with Draft N.

6. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

Its pretty much a white page with 2 boxes for a ID and password. If i get that page then i can connect to the internet but half the time i dont get the page to even log in. I will take a screen shot next time, i dont have class till wednesday. http://www.rvcit.com/aaa/wba_login.html?wbaredirect=http://www.yahoo.com/ this is the address it goes to and then if the login is correct it redirets to my homepage, in this case www.yahoo.com

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Euhm I guess we could try the obvious... cap letters, not cap letters, invert the ID and password. (4 total possibilities there). Are there other id and pass you have associated with the school, if so, try those out. Otherwise, it might be a wpa connection, but I'm not a all that knoledgable in that field.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

sounds like the network at my old uni. we had to add a proxy to connect. here are the instructions (replace login details with yours within). its for Tiger so if you have Leopard the steps may change a little. ask if you have trouble.

9. danvan21 thread starter macrumors regular

yea, ive got an IP address, and im connecting to the proper connection. I have numbers assigned to each of those. I only have trouble at school. At home, at work, and at freinds houses ive got internet.