Full body skin or Case?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Jmouse, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I have my ipad2 for 2 weeks now. I am now ready to bring it out with me but first i need some protection.

I would like to ask does most of you ppl went for the back case option?
    Or full case? I am leaning forward to be using a full body skin In this case a Wrapsol full body skin, much like the Zagg Invisible Shield. With the Apple smart cover.

Anyone has any opinion or suggestion for this approach ?

Thanks.

2. Krad3130 macrumors regular

Krad3130

Since I bought a smart cover when I purchased an iPad 2 on launch day I decided to go with a wrap. I have a best skins ever on the back only. I actually have a few to sell of you pm me. I bought one for my wife's 3g iPad but she never used it. It's just sitting in my closet. I forget what I paid for it ($15 maybe). Either way if you're interested let me know. I should probably start asking people I know if they want this skin. I love it on my ipad2

3. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea im keen , do you happen to have a picture of it installed? I havent look at BES ive only saw the Wrapsol one.

4. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Before you make a decision, take a look at the Vaja cases

I have several....iPhone, iPod, etc., and love them. They're a bit pricey but they wear like iron. I am still using an original iPhone which I purchased in 2006 on the first day they came out. The Vaja case it's in still holds up and has a LOT of life left in it even though it sees a butt-load of wear every day.

....sT

5. sexytabitha macrumors regular

if you want mor than scratch protection go with a case

6. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

The Vaja looks very nice indeed.

What i really want is to be able to use the smart cover and not have to worry about the smart cover damaging the back of the ipad. So my question is, if i insist on putting a back protective skin on to protect it from the smart cover, will i still be able to fit a back case like the Vaja for instant?

Thanks.

7. bobright macrumors 601

Thats the tough part about it finding out searching threads on cases asking etc..

Best way IMO to go though a back shield and cover gives you full protection. Most cases alone will scratch your device.

8. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

I have a leather smart cover (black) and a carbon skin from icarbons on the back.
    I like the combo n also it keeps my ipad2 thin, like it should be..
    On the couch i remove the smart cover n when for example i look on utube i put it bak n just watch videos :D

9. boraxatude macrumors member

Although it adds more bulk, with a full case, you will not be so worried about dents and dings -- You will just USE it. I have the portenzo case and I know that when I re-sell my ipad 2 for the 3 next year, it will look brand new. No worries in that department, with the portenzo. Not only does it have that moleskine look, but it is very well built and it's cover does act as a 'smart cover' without the worry of scratching the edges of the ipad. Which ever brand you go with - Get a case with a built in cover that is smart.

10. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

The back of the original iPhone is roughly the same material and finish as an iPad. After 5+ years of being slid in and out (have to pull it out to dock it every time, of course) of the Vaja case.....it still loooks like it did when I purchased it in 2006.

....sT

11. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok now i cant really make up my mind.

On 1 hand i would like to use the smart cover because i never have. ( with the aid of a Wrapsol back skin.)

However , i know better myself that the novelty will wear off in a few weeks and with all the negative feedback. But you have to admit its a "Cool" product to have.

Or just get a full cover case with smart option and be happy with it?

I Don't really know what i want now.

Please help me out of my mystery

12. whatwiggles macrumors newbie

Get a full case if you find one that you like. The thing I don't like about Apple's Smartcover is the dust lines it can leave behind and its general flimsiness. Skins are cool (I like Gelaskins for artwork), but do not have any impact protection.

13. Jmouse, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I get so much stress on how well the back skin will hold up , will cases fit, How long till the corner starts coming off. Wrapsol has a life time warranty, so pretty much you can ask for a replacement when corners starts playing up.

Anyhow, I cant find that Yogo locally in store. I bought one fo the Smartcover with Back for the mean time.

$30

Heres a pic for it.

[​IMG]

14. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

I use my iPad2 with a Ghost Armor full body shield and a blue poly smart cover. Here are a few pictures I just took so you could get a better idea of how it looks.

As far as protection it's scratch proofing. If you drop your iPad 2 you're not getting any protection.. so ask yourself if you need drop protection or not. If you DON'T need drop protection IMHO it's the best way to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

That looks pretty good imo, the WRAPSOL skin does not have the sim trap cut out.

16. rhuarc3 macrumors member

rhuarc3

I use an iCarbons skin with a clear switcheasy coverbuddy and a red smartcover. When traveling between places I put it in a hard candy hard case.

This setup works great for me. And my iPad gets handled by a 2 year old around the house. And it hasn't broke yet.

17. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I refunded everything and bought a back skin ( wet application, matt ) and a Black leather smart cover.

I Love the back and how it looks, however i would not say its better than a back hard case. There are areas that the skin aren't covering. i will post a few pictures later.

18. skittles90623 macrumors regular

Honestly, I'd go with a case. The full body skin guard will guard the aesthetics, but a case will guard the functionality of your iPad.

19. Simon Templar macrumors member

Simon Templar

Yep....if you think your iPad was cheap, go ahead and put it in a cheap cover.

....sT

20. glen e macrumors 68030

I never see these things as an "either-or"....I have a skin in a case. When I desire a case look like in a business situation, I go that way. Then just an icarbon skin around house....

21. zhoulana macrumors member

Right :D:D:D:D:D

22. birde macrumors newbie

Full Case and smart cover

I decided to get a full cover case for my ipad as I had already spent a lot of money on the ipad I really wanted to make sure it would be protected. I also bought the smart cover and it fits into the full cover as well as it is quite thin.
    I only keep the smart cover on sometimes though.

I bought the a felt cover from www.untype.com, it is light weight and sleek. I love it and it goes well with the pink smart cover:). I will upload a picture in soon.

23. skittles90623 macrumors regular

a full body skin would be nice, but i don't think it exists..

24. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

full body skin will look nicer, because you will be able to keep the ipad 2 original shape and the look. but it will not be able to protect your ipad 2 from dropping or scratches.. i always recommend to have a case on ipads;)