Full brightness

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Does anyone use the full brightness on their AW? I have been tempted to try it out since its kind of hard to see in sunlight. Just seeing if anyone noticed a big dip in battery after doing so.

Last edited:

meikdunj

macrumors regular
May 21, 2015
I have mine on full brightness. Don't notice big difference in Battery depletion rate. I'll still around 50% battery when I get home from work.

Crazy Matt

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
USA
Does anyone use the full brightness on their AW? I have been tempted to try it out since its kind of hard to see in sunlight. Just seeing if anyone noticed a big dip in battery after doing so.
I've had it on full brightness since day one on my 38mm. Never end a day (7am to 11pm) with less than 40% remaining.

susan12369

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2015
Mine's been at about 50% since I got it, and I haven't noticed any issues seeing the display when outside.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Actually, increasing the brightness level won't increase readability in sunlight. The watch has a light sensor and automatically increases brightness when there is more light falling on the screen, but the max brightness is the same no matter which level you have the watch set to. The brightness settings on the watch will only affect the brightness with lower amounts of ambient light.

From the DisplayMate apple watch display test (http://www.displaymate.com/Apple_Watch_ShootOut_1.htm):

With running time on battery being such an important issue, it’s not surprising that Apple has implemented a rather aggressive Brightness management strategy. At lower indoor ambient light levels the display’s Brightness (Luminance) is satisfactory. For the 3 level 1/2/3 user Brightness settings for the Apple Watch the display has 15/60/80 nits at 0 lux, which are good for very low light. As the lux level increases the display Brightness then increases at different rates, but all three settings eventually reach a maximum of 482 nits at very high ambient lux light levels, which is impressive for a watch. But for intermediate lux levels it can be iffy: for example, for the highest (3) user setting, the display reaches 203 nits at 500 lux, 203 nits also at 1,000 lux, and 290 nits at 2,000 lux. In some cases you will need to position your wrist into your shadow in order to see the display well. Indoors it’s fine, outdoors it can be iffy like on most mobile displays