Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tworth23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Hello all,
I received my new 15", i7, 128gb ssd, 8gb ram macbook pro on april 19th. I love it and have no problems. Have any of you guys noticed that the full charge battery capacity, which is found under system profiler-power, varies often. When I first got the macbook pro the full charge capacity of the battery was around 6830. Now with each charge it seems to go down slowly. At first it jumped from 6800 to 6600 and now stays at around 6520. Is this normal? Thanks in advance. Tried Mroogle with no results.......

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Your link does not answer my specific question.....thanks though. I am referring to why my battery capacity, jumped from 6800 to 6500mah.

Yes it does:
CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH

To check battery status, use iStat Pro or coconutBattery or
 > About This Mac > More Info... > Hardware > Power > Charge Information:

Be aware that battery readings are not 100% accurate, so if your brand new battery health is somewhat less than 100% or if it fluctuates up and down over time (100%, 96%, 99%, etc.), don't worry. This is completely normal.​

tworth23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
battery health

Yes it does:

GGsstudios, I am not referring to battery health, percentage, that is displayed on istat pro, I am referring to the full charge capacity as shown in system profiler. Battery mah

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGsstudios, I am not referring to battery health, percentage, that is displayed on istat pro, I am referring to the full charge capacity as shown in system profiler. Battery mah

It's the same thing, whether expressed as a percentage or mah. Battery full charge capacity = battery health. No matter how it's expressed, it will fluctuate over time, up and down.

Thisiserdinc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2011
what about the expected numbers

I am wondering what are the expected Full Charge Capacity (mAh) values of 15" Macbook Pro, just out of the box.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am wondering what are the expected Full Charge Capacity (mAh) values of 15" Macbook Pro, just out of the box.
If you use iStat Pro, as recommended earlier, it will show you a percentage. You can use that with your mAh showing to determine the original full charge capacity. For example, if your System Profiler shows Full charge capacity (mAh): 6305 and iStat Pro shows 97% health, your full charge capacity was originally 6500 (6305 / 97%).

Cging23

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
Do a battery calibration!

I just got my late model 2011 macbook pro 15" i7. I was only getting around 1h30m of wireless browsing. I just did a battery calibration for the first time last night and mAh jumped from 6300 to 7035. As I am looking at the batter meter right now it say 95% remaining (8:22).

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI
I just got my late model 2011 macbook pro 15" i7. I was only getting around 1h30m of wireless browsing. I just did a battery calibration for the first time last night and mAh jumped from 6300 to 7035. As I am looking at the batter meter right now it say 95% remaining (8:22).

Battery calibration doesn't give you more mAh, it just makes the numbers that are being reported more accurate. The amount of time you get to use your MBP from a full charge varies greatly depending on what you're doing with the computer.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries.

Also, calibration doesn't change your battery's health. It only makes your readings more accurate. Read the Battery FAQ in the 2nd post of this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.