Full charge in only an hour??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 10, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

2. HiDEF macrumors 68000

HiDEF

I've noticed the same thing but, everything seems cool. In all honesty, iP4's battery has been really good so far. [side note] I got the phone the day it was released.

3. macduke Suspended

macduke

Today I thought to myself "it seems like my iPhone charges faster now." but then I didn't think anything more of it until now. Is some testing in order? I usually charge it every night, so I didn't notice until today when I had forgotten to charge it last night and plugged it in during the day.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

If you're referring to the battery bar showing a full charge, it's not actually charged fully. It will continue to charge further.

You can test this yourself. Unplug it immediately once the battery shows a full charge and use it for a full day, then charge overnight and use it for a full day. You'll notice the the battery lasts a lot longer in the latter case.

5. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the show percentage on it so I could see it going from 20% to 52% to 94% in like an hour...

6. jap1198 macrumors 6502

Hm I noticed that too with my iPhone, which is great for when I forget to charge it at night.

But I agree with JayLenochiniMac the battery lasts longer when you leave it charging overnight. Although my battery is pretty lame (don't know if it's a defect or just because I have a lot of push notifs/and push email).

7. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Download batter doctor. One of the best apps I own. It will do a full cycle charge on your phone and tell you when its really full. You should do one full cycle charge a month to extend battery life. I try to full cycle as much as I can.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It will go to 94% (or around that) quickly, but after that it charges to 100% very slowly (which you need to do overnight). The amount of charge between 94% and 100% isn't the same as, say, 24% to 30%. That's just how it is.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

10. bigreat macrumors member

Come on......... First, when you unplug immediately after full charge, you will spend more stored energy on standby time than charge over night. Second, please don't just assume tech stuff..... The charging controller will stop charge the batter when it's once fully charged................

11. bigreat macrumors member

Please notice the publish date of that page....... At that time, you have to spend several hours to charge a battery only half of the capacity of iPhone 4's.......... Tech advanced man........ If you're not an ee...., things are changing too fast for you to understand.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, I'm defining "full charge" as the OP defines it, namely the battery bar showing almost all green (around 94% or so). This isn't actually a full charge.

No need for standby time. Skip the overnight charge and charge an hour in the morning (to 94%) before leaving the house and use it for the day, then compare to charging overnight. Big difference going from 94% or even 98% vs. 100%.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Great, we've documented another problem with the iPhone 4. :D

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Edit:
    Ya know what, nevermind. I stand by my post. You've provided no references. You have something concrete, put it up for folks to read.

Huh? Did you read the article? It claims 70% charge in the first hour and full charge at around three hours. This is consistent with people's experience with the iphone.

This stands to reason if the charger on the ip4 is the same as the 3GS (5V @ 1A). Since the ip4 battery is 1420mAh @ 3.7V, a 1A charging current is a 0.7C charge rate. In an hour you'll hit about 70% of capacity. Assuming the typical Li-ion technology, the last 30% of charging takes another couple hours.

Yes, there are newer fast-charge Li-Ion variants out there. I doubt this is being used in the iphone 4 since fast charging requires high charge currents. They also tend to have a relatively lower power density -- exactly the opposite of what you'd want in a cellphone but tolerable in high-current applications like power tools where high discharge current and fast recharge is important.

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

never noticed. I always shut mine down to charge

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why? The iPhone is designed to be on 24/7.