Full charge lasting 3.5 hrs?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R6Seven, Aug 3, 2008.

1. R6Seven macrumors member

Last night at work, I left my 3G connected to the USB wall charger starting at around 1am. I got off at 8am and took my phone off, went home and went to sleep. (didn't use the phone at all).

I woke up this morning at around 11am and noticed that I had received ONE text message, and also that my battery was at 10%. What is going on?

This is my THIRD iPhone 3G. The first one I got replaced because it had a cracked plastic shell on the bottom. The second one I got replaced because it had black lines on the screen while on lock, dust under the screen, light leak, and scratches on the metal bezel. Please tell me I don't have to go back to the store again. I'm sick and tired of this BS.

Anyways.. did anyone have something like this happen on their first full charge? Some say that battery calibration will be complete only after a full charge runs out to 0%, and I've done that with my other Apple products in the past. Never did any batteries run out THAT fast on a full first charge.

2. iPhoneKiller macrumors newbie

I would try restoring the iPhone and seeing if it is a software issue, if that does not work you will want to take that into a store and get that fixxed

3. Aznsensation45 macrumors regular

wow. i feel bad for you buddy. That sucks. It's probably a defect battery... you're probably gonna have to go for your 4th iphone..:eek:

4. Lightbrazer macrumors member

Eh, it's only been one charge, it took mine 3 or so before the powermanager had a good calibration on mine. Once it's fully calibrated you should expect roughly 5 hours of usage with the 20% warning coming in at roughly one our till power's used up.

Just a suggestion do a full restore of the phone to upgrade it to the latest firmware if you haven't and then do the calibration, remember whenever you upgrade the OS you need to recalibrate for the meter to be fully accurate again.

5. McGiord, Aug 3, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I had a similar experience, but was not my first full charge, I wake up iPhone 3G fully charged, I was at a hotel in Mexico with WIFI connection, tried to update some apps (around 5), the updates didn't finished, I left the hotel with data roaming off (I live in the USA), and around 10 am, the battery was dead.
    I don;t know if the update thing kept it running something and drain the battery.

I am now monitoring it.
    ________
    Scion xD

6. telf22 macrumors regular

I'd take it back. That not acceptable. I went through NINE nanos (3rd gen) and finally decided to just get my money back yesterday. good luck

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

how do ya check how much percent the battery is at?

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You don't, there are 10% and 20% warnings.

9. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

nine nanos? what was wrong with them if you don't mind me asking

10. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

My advice is to make sure the Fetch New Data is turned off. That kills batteries. Mine has been so much better since I did that.

11. stevin macrumors regular

user error

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

1 - Run the phone down 'till it dies and then charge it fully a couple of times this week. Don't draw any conclusions until then.

2- Here's some common battery-drains. Are you doing any of them?

A - Having multiple mail accounts checking every 15 minutes. Can you do without any of them on the phone? I have 4 e-mail addresses, but 2 of them only get 1 message every 3 or 4 days. I took those off the phone and just check them at home. Of the remaining 2 I set my main account to check every 30 minutes and the other one to only check (manually) when I go into the in-box. I get 1 message there a day, so that works fine. Can you cut back on any of your e-mail accounts? Leave them there if you like, but turn the non-critical ones to 'manual' instead of 'fetch.' If you can have ONE account as fetch (or push) and all the rest as manual, that's great. It's not possible for everyone, but see what you can get down to.

B - "Searching" for Wi-Fi or 3G or Bluethooth. If you have these connections, I say use them. Some say otherwise, but I didn't buy this phone to NOT use 3G. So when it's there, I use it. But if you're someplace they don't exist (like my work, for example) then turn them off while you're there. The phone will keep looking for something it's never going to find. A big waste!

C - Screen Brightness. You said you were asleep, so I doubt it, but it needs to be said. Set it to 35% or 40% unless you're out in direct sunlight and need more.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

iFail

Your iPhone is defective. Calibration simply makes the battery life display accurately; this includes the 20/10% warnings when you ACTUALLY have 10% left.

I often have my iPhone charged by 11PM. I turn on Airplane Mode and then WiFi and the iPhone comes to bed with me. When I wake up to its alarm at 8AM it is still 95% FULL! Maybe even more...That's fetching every hour.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

how do ya check exactly what percent the screen brightness is at? mine just got a lil slider thing that doesnt tell me the percent!

15. smt1192 macrumors regular

He was estimating

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Look at it and guess

I mean, it's not an exact science, but it's good enough. Do you really need to know if the brightness is 38% or 36%? I doubt it's that big of a deal.