Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
Ok, gearing up for a dreaded full erase and clean install to clear up some niggling problems that I can't track down.....

It's not really something I'm wanting to do, but I want to clear them before el capitan comes marching through.

SO, the big question is, is there value in reinstalling software from installers vs dragging from backup?
I'd be annoyed to lose custom settings in so many of them (and just the general hassle)...but if I must I must...

Anyone offer thoughts on this?

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Well, I have done it both ways and I honestly did not notice any difference using either method. One was not superior to the other, in my experience. So, I would say, save yourself a load of time and frustration and just "drag from backup".

ricede

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
Inside
Any application that comes with its own installer - i.e. Photoshop / Toast / Word etc put files all over the Harddrive, sometimes in obscure places, so it can be hard to find them when necessary. Its best to reinstall these apps from scratch & then restore their preference files from ~/library/preferences. That will at least allow you to keep most of your settings.

Any file that one just unzips & then drags to the Application folder can easily be got from the Applications folder of your backup. Again you can restore their preference files from backup to get your settings

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd be annoyed to lose custom settings in so many of them (and just the general hassle)...but if I must I must...

ricede covered the install issue well, but settings is a different issue entirely and has nothing to do with reinstalling the apps. If you do a erase and clean install, then reinstall apps, all the custom settings for those apps will be gone. Each app handles this a little differently, but most custom settings are contained in plist settings files in the user ~/Library/Preferences folder. Unless you track down the individual settings files for each app, your settings will not be there even if you reinstall the apps.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.