Full Continuity Working in mid-2010 MBP - BLE DONGLE ONLY

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by webcrush, Oct 29, 2014.

1. webcrush macrumors regular

As an update to my post from last week - I have full Continuity working, handoff, sms, calls, airdrop, etc from my mid-2010 MBP to my iPhone6.

I am the stock wifi card that came with the laptop. I am NO LONGER using the updated wifi card, nor have I even received the 802.11ac card yet.

The only thing I'm using is a $9 BLE dongle and the Continuity config tool released.

I was convinced I needed a hardware change to get this working as no HandOff was functioning without it, but today it started working and I have nothing plugged in except the BLE dongle.

Seems like just a few reboots was all it needed.

Now to decide what to do with this useless airport card I ordered!

2. ac166 macrumors newbie

That's big news! Which size mbp do you have? I'm trying to get my 13" mid 2010 to work with a BTLE dongle...

What steps did you take to make it work? When I run the continuity activation tool (latest v1.03 I think) it just disables my wifi after a reboot!

3. ac166 macrumors newbie

and most importantly... what BTLE dongle are you using??

4. ogoidluis macrumors newbie

5. webcrush thread starter macrumors regular

I used this one from Amazon

GMYLE (R) Micro USB Bluetooth 4.0 Dongle Dual Mode w/ Low Energy Technology Wireless Adapter (Broadcom BCM20702 chipset)

6. ac166 macrumors newbie

Ah cool... I actually ordered one of those last night! I've been trying to use a CSR chipset dongle with no success (I can get the bluetooth working, but the kext hacking disables my wifi!)

----------

I'm wondering what differences there are between the kexts in a 13" and 15" mid 2010 mbp, I know the cards are different..

7. ogoidluis macrumors newbie

webcrush, can you posts some images or a video of it working please :)

8. dokterdok macrumors member

Could you please type these commands in Terminal and send me your results? Make sure your BT4 dongle is plugged in.

Code:
    ioreg -l | grep FirmwareVersionString | awk -F'"' 'END {print $4}'
    Code:
    ioreg -l | grep FeatureFlags | awk -F' = ' '{print $2}'
    Code:
    ifconfig -u | grep awdl
    Thanks

9. webcrush thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Dok,

I'd be more than happy to but since I posted this I upgraded the AirPort card (to save a USB port) :(

I can still plug in the dongle and execute the commands, but I'm not sure how much value they would be at this point.

I can try capturing the output before/after dongle with my current fixed hardware and see if it changes.

Let me know.

----------

You'll have to take my word for it - as I just mentioned above, I upgrade the Airport card so I'm not using the dongle solution anymore.

----------

Dok:

FirmwareVersionString with USB dongle is: v14 c4096 (without its v147 c5799)

FeatureFlags is 15 in either instance

AWDL is unchanged as well:
    awdl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1452
    inet6 fe80::70c6:44ff:fead:cc85%awdl0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9

I can say this works fine prior to upgrade the Airport card, I wish you had asked sooner. Alas, I'm not about to crack open the case again to test it. :) Sorry.