Full Cycle Battery Usage vs AC plugged in at 99%?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CSilver, Feb 5, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

Hi, I had some issues with battery drain while sleeping awhile ago but that problem has been solved. However, ever since that incident I could not be paranoid about the battery life etc.

I heard people saying that leaving the charger plugged in is simply fine as long as I do the regular calibration once or twice a month or so. Yet, Apple stated that they DO NOT RECOMMEND the laptops to be plugged in.

I will be going to a college this Sept and I really do want my laptop to last at least the whole 4 years. Ever since I have contacted Apple customer service about this Battery issue I have left my Macbook charged up and plugged in while using and letting it sleep.

One thing I have noticed is that the battery indicator says 99% and doesn't increase or decrease yet the green light is on... Is that normal?

Since this is my first Mac ever and also first Laptop I would like some advice on how to treat the Battery( I know how to do Calibration and such).

Is it better to do full cycle usage of Alum Macbook battery than leaving it plugged in all the time?(I unplug it when the Macbook is off).

Let me know what you think. Thank you.

-Chris-

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

99% status is normal. In fact, there's a thread just a couple down from this one discussing just that: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=646716

But for your other question, you don't have to cycle it fully all the time, just use it unplugged from time to time, just to get the juices flowing, so to speak.

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply but I have read that post yet still asked about it since I have a different situation. Mine is that Is leaving the charger plugged in at 99% battery stat okay in long term usage?? Or is just going for the full cycle 100% to 0% then charge it up "better"? I read that Li ion battery dies from more of number of cycle counts than the how old it is.
    p.s. please correct me if I am wrong...
    -Chris-

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I believe the Apple guide says that if you're going to use the computer plugged in for long periods of time, cycle it top to bottom, and back up once a month. Otherwise, just now and then, unplug it, and use it normally, and plug it in when you're done.

5. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I kind of knew that but I wanted to make sure if I am on the same page as everyone else. The calibration method from Apple website didn't really work on my Refurb 2.0 Alum Macbook battery. The battery drain % while sleeping was like 7~10% in 1 hour or so. When I called Apple Customer Service they told me to do the Calibration again but remove the Battery and let it sit in the room temp for about 8~10 hours then recharge it. It solved the problem but I did get little more hesitated on action involving the battery.

Thanks again for this quick answer ;)
    -Chris-
    p.s. If anyone has more advice please let me know :D

6. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

For about two weeks, I had my macbook plugged in 24/7, without really giving it some use on battery. And i noticed that my Maximum Capacity in coconuBattery was decreasing... So I decided to give it more usage on battery, and guess what?! It came back up to 4300. The lowest it's gotten so far is 4240mAh.

So needless to say, i've started using my laptop at least 1 hour a day on battery power, but not letting it die down below 50-60%.

Attached Files:

7. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I will give that a try thanks ;)
    -Chris-
    p.s. How long does the Alum Macbook battery last on 3 bars of lights and just using internet??? I am wondering if my battery has any issues...