Full disk backup?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by b0redom, Sep 30, 2009.

1. b0redom macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've sold my old Macbook pro and bought a shiny new one. I want to take a clone of the disk on my old one in case there's anything I've forgotten to copy over.

What's the best way of doing this please?

Cheers....

b0redom

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'm fond of SuperDuper, but some people prefer Carbon Copy Cloner. Basically you buy a external HD and the program makes an image copy.

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

I can say that both carbon copy cloner and superduper work very well ( I use both to back up clients' macs) and really they are both great programs, but you do need an external hard drive to back up on to.

4. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

I'm going to install SL on my mac book. I bought an OWC external HD and it came with both programs mentioned.
    I had planned on cloning the present HD and all of its contents. And then picking the programs and information I wanted to keep off of the cloned HD. Question is: Is it easier to clone the present HD and do the above. Or would be easier to just move the items,(pictures, docs, etc) to the ext. drive, and then move them to the appropriate places in SL?

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

With a clone you won't realize you forgot a file somewhere after you've reformatted and installed SL. You will also be able to use the migration assistant if you want. Finally, you will have a working backup of your old Leopard or Tiger install to fall back on if SL just doesn't work out for any reason. And I agree with others that Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper! are both excellent programs for making the backup.

6. ppfd macrumors regular

ppfd

So I should use either program and clone the HD to the external then. Can I "pick and choose" the info I'd like to move and keep using either program?