Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Does anyone who has a PM (it's been a long time since I have run one), know if it is normal for the cooling fans to blow full speed during a hardware test?

I am trying to diagnose a failure to boot from CD issue and need to know if this is abnormal or not.

Thanks. :)

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I don't have a PM but this certainly happened with my iMac, if that helps.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I believe they do run full on a test, Gary - I think it is the same for all machines (I know my iMac did).

Edit: Yes - they will go on full. Taken from an article:
Then, select Hardware Test as the boot partition. This will allow you to test the logic board, mass storage, memory and video RAM. Pushing "Quick Test" will provide a 12 minute 25 second test of the PowerMac G5 Quad with all of the fans running at full blast. Don't worry, this is normal for a hardware test running on a PowerMac G5. If your memory passes the test, you are ready to put the Quad to work.

Full link here: http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/quad/

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Josh said:
I believe they do run full on a test, Gary - I think it is the same for all machines (I know my iMac did).

Excellent, thanks.

Doesn't seem to make sense that they run the whole test. Oh well.

More responses appreciated. :)

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
IIRC, the fans are controlled by some software built into OS X. By default (ie no OS X) the fans spin at full speed. So when doing hardware test, the fans automatically go on full.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.