Full Flash website critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by tomoisyourgod, Mar 8, 2008.

1. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

There a few imperfections such as alignment issues, apart from that, what ya reckon to this?

2. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

looks terrible on my iPhone ;)

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

crashed my browser. scroll area was also unusable.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Didn't crash my browser for me, but yes the scroll area was 100% unusable. You couldn't use a mouse scroll wheel and you couldn't drag the scroll bar.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

as far as flash goes, I really really like it.

but fix the scroll bars!:mad:

:D

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Why not do it in XHTML and CSS. Not that much animation. No back buttons! :D

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed. Plus god forbid, Flash wouldn't steal your scroll wheels.

The color scheme is very pretty, and the look / feel is generally nice, although I think that it's a little distracted layout-wise. The four quadrants take up almost equal amounts of space, even though two are for navigation and two are ostensibly for content. As a result, my eyes (or, I guess, my frontal eye fields) are left not knowing where exactly I should be looking....

8. HaGG macrumors member

Good for everything but google :p I don't like music on website's but that's my preference.

I agree with others though, how about a xhtml/flash combo instead.

9. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

The issue with Google and Flash is an urban myth; The html container can contain search keywords, text from site, links to other sites, etc..., just like any other website.
    The upside of doing it this way is that search results always lead to the index page, rather than to internal pages, as often happens with traditional html/css sites.

comments to the OP:
    The movieclip on the merchandise page is out of alignment.
    I would rethink the soundtrack; it's too obnoxious for me, and I like hard rock music..
    The topnav opens links in the site window; open a new window instead.
    "main arena" and "classic arena" content area should change color (or something to that effect) when the links are clicked, to attract the users attention.

IMO, the overall design, which is nice enough, is too boxy and conventional for a Flash site.
    Looks a little bit like a basic Flash template.
    You might consider a liquid layout for this site, utilizing the entire display area.
    ie: Anchor the navigation to the edge of the display, and float the content in the center.
    You could also include a fullscreen option in the form of a button on an "entry" page.
    ie: page with logo and welcome verbiage, site requirements, and an option to enter the site in fullscreen mode.

GL

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Why is that an upside? If a search result points me somewhere I expect it to be on the page it leads to, not just to the site where I have to continue searching. I'd be annoyed by such a result and leave the site immediately.

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

This site is not deep enough that a google search query for concert tickets, for example, would be difficult or annoying if the google search returned a link to the index page.

On the other hand, I whole-heartedly agree that a search result returning the index page at a complex site like Microsoft.com, would be virtually useless for finding the requested information.
    This happens QUITE frequently with html/css sites though. It is not unique to Flash sites.
    SEO is critical for complex sites, but somewhat less so for smaller sites.

12. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm gonna be polite, but honest. The whole site should be scrapped and rebuilt not using flash. It's a pretty design, but the unnecessary use of flash will drive many many people away without giving your site a second look. If you were gonna do something awesome with your site that requires flash like this They Might Be Giants website subpage, then flash is appropriate and acceptable. But for a standard page like yours the annoying flash interface controls and the limits that flash imposes and other flash drawbacks will drive people away.